To ask you to please help these 2 little girls stay in the UK, they face FGM in Nigeria

(177 Posts)
Topaz25 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:18:30

This petition really moved me, please sign and share:
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-border-agency-please-review-the-fresh-evidence-submitted-for-afusat-saliu-s-asylum-case-properly

"Afusat Saliu, faces being returned to Nigeria. She has removal directions for 25th April. If she goes back, there is a real risk of forcible FGM on her daughters. She fled to the UK when her step-mother expressed a wish to have her daughter Bassy cut. Bassy will be four in May; two year old Rashidat was born in London - Afusat fled while she was heavily pregnant.

In Afusat's village, FGM is usually performed on babies, which is when Afusat herself was cut. If she is made to return and her family catch up with her, it is likely that she will be powerless to protect them from being mutilated. Afusat is also in danger as she escaped a forced marriage to a man 40 years her senior to whom her family is indebted."

Ruushii Tue 22-Apr-14 21:47:59

I don't know why anyone can read that and not want to help a two year old and four year old who could be sent back to a place where they will be mutilated. It's mind boggling.

guineapig1 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:48:31

Signed

Joules68 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:50:24

So who supports them all here in the uk?

Signed.

dementedma Tue 22-Apr-14 21:53:34

A man is walking along a beach after a storm. The high tide has washed up hundreds of thousands of starfish, which are now dying in the sun. He sees a figure in the distance, bending, straightening...and is intrigued. As he gets closer he sees that the second figure is another man, picking upm the starfish one at a time and throwing them back into the sea. It is backbreaking work. The first man laughs. " what pointless thing to do," he says, " there are hundreds of thousands of starfish washed up here. There is no way you can make a difference to them all."
The second man throws another starfish into the sea and watches it sink to safety. "Maybe not," he says," but I made a difference to that one."

Topaz25 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:54:44

Afusat Saliu shows a strong willingness to work and contribute to her community by volunteering with the Refugee Council and other organisations and helping out at her daughter's school so she should be able to get paid work when her immigration status is sorted out.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 22-Apr-14 21:55:14

Whatever reason they've been denied asylum, given the minority who have been granted it on human rights grounds despite being rapists,murderers,paedophiles...what could this woman and her children have done?

What could they have done to make you not want to at least try to protect them?

Norem Tue 22-Apr-14 21:56:07

Signed, I am ashamed to say that as a midwife here In UK I only truly understood the prevelance and effects of fgm recently.
It makes my blood boil sad

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 22-Apr-14 21:56:07

Joules

Define "them all"

Ilovexmastime Tue 22-Apr-14 21:56:54

Signed.

Norem Tue 22-Apr-14 21:57:33

Dementedma, spot on.

NatashaGurdin Tue 22-Apr-14 21:57:39

I've signed. Surely this situation is exactly what asylum is for?

HotCrossBunting Tue 22-Apr-14 21:58:08

I've signed it and I'll share the link.

Gurnie Tue 22-Apr-14 21:58:56

Signed.

Topaz25 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:00:38

NatashaGurdin That's exactly what I thought, this isn't setting some new precedent, asylum has always been intended to protect those at risk of violence in their home country.

eightyearsonhere Tue 22-Apr-14 22:02:58

I know there have been lots of cases such as this one and "fear that FGM MAY happen" by extended family is not a reason for asylum.
The mother does not have to return to her home village, Nigeria is a very large country.

nickelbabe Tue 22-Apr-14 22:05:35

I will never understand the argument "you can't save everybody so what's the point trying to save 2?"
wtf is wrong with you?!

you know that most people go by the rule "if you can save one person, it's as if you've saved the whole world" ?

I signed it earlier. we need to make a proper stand against FGM. it's illegal for it to be performed in.this cointry or against citizens of this country, but it's very rarely prosecuted, the first being this year
and I personally believe that if one of them has been born in this country then they should both be protected.

DamnBamboo Tue 22-Apr-14 22:06:28

Having learned a little more about this over the coming weeks, if she has been refused asylum then her case will have been thoroughly investigated.

I just don't get why everybody assumes that the decision not to grant it, is the wrong one! As if the people investigating this won't also be personally touched by the fact that two young girls are involved.

FreudiansSlipper Tue 22-Apr-14 22:06:51

and on the itv news there is a report of over 200 school girls missing, feared abducted in Nigeria by extremists

how safe are young girls in this country, if that was in any European country it would be headline news

nickelbabe Tue 22-Apr-14 22:09:02

(my quote comes from the Talmud)

Joules68 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:11:39

Define 'them all' ? Why? There's the 3 of them as far as I'm aware?
Or am I wrong?

ProcessYellowC Tue 22-Apr-14 22:11:48

Signed.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 22-Apr-14 22:11:54

Freudian

I saw that on the news this evening and was opened mouthed in horror.

I suppose with headline news, it can be related to proximity. E.g if something like that happened in France it might not make headline news outside of Europe, ditto Wales.

That doesn't make it less important and as the world is becoming increasingly global, we do hear about these things and we do care.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 22-Apr-14 22:13:30

No you're not joules.

Why do you assume their mum won't go on to support them? That the little girls will grow up get jobs/go uni and eventually get jobs?

FreudiansSlipper Tue 22-Apr-14 22:14:35

really you do not think we would hear about it if it happened in the states?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now