AIBU parking.

(33 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Evilwater Thu 06-Mar-14 20:22:00

I am a member of staff at my hospital, they are putting up the charge for parking 105% as a starting place. Of course my wages have not gone up.

The car park, is not maintained, has horrible lighting, there is pot holes and the gravel area is pretty much mud. The ONLY thing that has been added is a new barrier. They do not check the permits, when I tried to update my details. They told me not to worry about it!

AIBU to shout about the petition to stop this?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Mar-14 12:37:17

Hello

We've moved this to our Petitions and Online Campaigns topic now.

Holycowiloveyoureyes Fri 07-Mar-14 09:29:52

£2.50 a day? I'm sorry I agree that that is not an unreasonable cost at all.

Braganza Fri 07-Mar-14 09:24:22

Looked at your petition - sorry I don't think £2.50 a day is unreasonable really, if I've understood it correctly. It's not as if you're paying the same as members of the public.

I have been a frequent visitor to Derriford. The parking situation is not good at all. The hospital is huge it's a struggle to find parking pace at the best of times.
The hospital is built on the outskirts of the city and off site parking is conspicuous by it's absence. Many of the staff are low paid/part time workers and this increase will have a big impact on their finances.
I have signed the petition but doubt that it will have much effect to be honest.
While public transport from the city centre and some of the surrounding areas is good this certainly is not the case for the workers who live in the outlying areas.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Fri 07-Mar-14 08:27:04

I think I'd be inclined to say think yourself lucky. My local hospital (dc are regular patients) changed their parking a year or so ago. Staff who live within 5 miles are no longer allowed a parking permit. They encourage car sharing, cycling and public transport. They've also given over 2/3 of the car park solely to patient/visitor parking. This is great for me as I no longer have to spend half an hour driving round to find a space or wait for someone to leave one. I have no choice but to drive as our village has zero public transport links. But I guess it's a pita for those who work there.

Unfortunately there is always going to be a tussle between patient/staff car parking, the NHL/private companies charging - this way the hospital and local authorities are no longer responsible for maintaining the car park. What the private company chooses to do is entirely up to them. They are a private profit-making company after all.

I have sympathy for your plight with regards to cost. But seriously, 5 years with no increase is good. The company could have done staggered increases but they may be charging what they would in other car parks. As for your wages not rising, many people are in your boat. Our cost of living has increased, but our wages haven't. In real terms we are earning less than we were a few years ago.

kd73 Fri 07-Mar-14 07:59:17

I too work in a hospital with no parking charges and decent transport links, there are few spaces available at 8.30 as the commuters use it as a park and ride, so patients and staff struggle:-( wish we were charged!!!!!!

NearTheWindymill Fri 07-Mar-14 07:58:20

How much are they charging OP? Are there differentiated rates for people who work really unsociable hours?

I don't think you are being unreasonable to feel affronted but I think free parking will become a thing of the past and even now there is an argument that it is potentially a taxable benefit.

I bet this is less about the hospital making money than it is about having an "environmentally friendly" policy that will support planning applications, etc.

NoodleOodle Fri 07-Mar-14 07:58:14

Signed.

minibmw2010 Fri 07-Mar-14 07:49:09

A friend use to work at our local hospital, they had a couple of overflow car parks as it's so busy but these were basically fields with no barriers, ticket machines etc. she'd tell me to park there and ignore any ticket as they weren't council enforced and it worked smile I think charging staff to park that much to go to work is so wrong. hmm

Janethegirl Thu 06-Mar-14 21:54:28

I'm lucky because although I work for the NHS I have found a safe off-site place to park and it's free and very convenient, so you have my full support in what you're doing.

Evilwater Thu 06-Mar-14 21:38:33

grin grin
500 names so far!
Thanks everyone please keep adding your names if you have not done so.

Evilwater Thu 06-Mar-14 20:56:57

Well the Hospital is renting the land they sold, confused the company (Vinci) they have a contract with told us "no rise in charges for 5 years". So 14 months later.........105% raise at least.

Fairenuff Thu 06-Mar-14 20:54:07

Is it the council charging for parking, or the medical authority?

Evilwater Thu 06-Mar-14 20:53:13

Some of the land belongs to the council.

Evilwater Thu 06-Mar-14 20:51:07

I wish I had the balls to start one, grin
Ok, sign up and show your support for all those Drs and nurses, and all the other staff that save lives.

Fairenuff Thu 06-Mar-14 20:50:55

You have no actual 'right' to park on the land though OP, so it's really a 'perk' that is offered by your employer. They can charge what they like.

YANBU to be unhappy about it but I don't see how a petition will change anything. If everyone boycotted the car park and no-one used it, they might re-think the charges but as it stands it's supply and demand. People want parking space. They will pay for it.

As you say, it's still cheaper than using the bus.

Janethegirl Thu 06-Mar-14 20:50:30

I've signed it too.

Boggler Thu 06-Mar-14 20:48:19

Sorry I misunderstood I thought you'd taken it on yourself to create a petition. I say carry on and fight fight all the way grin

Boggler Thu 06-Mar-14 20:47:11

Afforded?? Should be aggrieved.

Evilwater Thu 06-Mar-14 20:46:56

The union started this petition.

Boggler Thu 06-Mar-14 20:45:50

I'd be very wary of starting a petition against your employer - they will not be impressed. If you're afforded by this approach your union rep and get it on the agenda.

Evilwater Thu 06-Mar-14 20:45:19

Thank you, it thought I was BU.

tripecity Thu 06-Mar-14 20:43:48

I've signed your petition. The car parking charges fuck me RIGHT off and I only have to go to a hospital every few weeks (long term condition), rather than every day; I think I would explode if I had to pay every day

Best of luck OP, come on people, sign the petition, it only takes a minute

Evilwater Thu 06-Mar-14 20:41:20

No I can't, it's all permit parking for residents. It would be nice to lose the extra weight.

I don't think that's a particularly early start or late finish - lots of people work those hours and have to pay for parking. Can you park nearby and walk in? I think there should be more hospital parking for patients, and night shift workers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now