Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Help needed - petition to support nil cap on lap dancing in Bristol

(61 Posts)
JessInAvalon Thu 19-Sep-13 22:11:03

Hi all
I've not been on here for a while but now we really need your help in Bristol!

Someone has set up a petition calling for a nil cap on lap dancing clubs as has been done in Swansea.

We have a good number of signatures but we really need more.

It takes less than a minute to sign and you don't need to live in Bristol to object to them.

If you live in Bristol, it would be great if you could share this with your networks on Facebook/Twitter etc.

epetitions.bristol.gov.uk/epetition_core/community/petition/2372

Thanks all
JessInAvalon

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 20-Sep-13 12:58:42

I think questioning a culture which portrays women as sexual playthings for men is very relevant to feminism.

slug Fri 20-Sep-13 13:14:06

And I think questioning the culture that consistently pays women less than men so, for some, there is no option but to participate in a business that portrays women as playthings for these very men is very relevant to feminism.

lib I think you and your mates should club together, buy an island and create the democratic republic of Fuck You I Like To Look At Boobs I Don't Care About The Effect Upon You and Your Daughters Because I Believe in My Freedom To Look At Boobs So Fuck You

libertarianj Fri 20-Sep-13 14:17:51

ooh little bit harsh there Buffy, not very reasonable today are we?smile
why don't you get yourself a nice cool Hoegarraden. wine It is Friday after all

Did you bother to read the comments to the article i linked? So do you have a nice little island lined up for the dancers too? So much for living in a tolerant society hmm

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 20-Sep-13 14:22:58

Lib, it's truly heartwarming to witness your concern over women in the sex industry. You're all heart. Looking out for them like that - with no ulterior motives whatsoever.

No, I am not feeling very reasonable today. Even those who normally inhabit the cool oasis of reasonableness in which I prefer to exist have our off days.

But as far as I can tell, that's pretty much your viewpoint, no? That whatever arguments we might put forward as to the harm to women overall that is perpetuated by this type of business, you believe freedom to behave as one wishes is more important.

Except your island is "the World" and you insist that we all must live there under these terms.

JessInAvalon Fri 20-Sep-13 14:25:39

Hi
Thanks to all those who have signed. Only two more to get to 300 signatures.

To the person who asked the question about Temptations-yes, they were fined nearly £20,000 for breaching their licence. I will post the article on it when I get home tonight.

To those who have shared via Twitter etc, really appreciate that-thank you.

PS in answer to the jobs question, the places don't have to shut down. They just can't offer sex entertainment anymore. They will still have an alcohol licence. The women pay to work there and are self-employed with no rights (see Quashie vs Stringfellow in which she claimed unfair dismissal and lost because she was deemed to have no rights). Generally those who are in secure employment are the bar and security staff.

WhentheRed Fri 20-Sep-13 14:59:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JessInAvalon Fri 20-Sep-13 18:22:45

Thank you WhentheRed.

JessInAvalon Fri 20-Sep-13 20:12:20

As promised, here is the link to the article on Temptations in Bristol.

The police report behind the case was handed out by mistake at a council hearing. It did not make pretty reading!

m.thisisbristol.co.uk/story.html?aid=19690487

I signed it last week. I don't want to live in a city where the economy is part based on the objectification of women.

JessInAvalon Sat 21-Sep-13 09:34:17

Thanks QueenofWhatever. Me neither. In Bristol, one is opposite the city's main theatre in town which I think sends out the completely wrong message. Go lap dancing-as acceptable as going to see a west end musical!

jojoanna Sat 21-Sep-13 09:35:34

signed

Bunnylion Sat 21-Sep-13 10:19:35

Signed.

In my teens and early 20s a lot of men presumed that I was sexually available because I was an attractive young woman with a smile. This included fellow students, bosses, taxi drivers, men on public transport and strangers who I encountered walking down my street at night time. Their confusion and embarrassment when rejected was often met with aggression, insults or violence.

I don't want the next generation of women to have to deal with that and all the utterly depressing shit that comes with it.

Strip clubs are one of many elements of society that perpetuate the notion of entitlement to a woman's body. Shutting down these places would be a positive step towards changing the status of women in society and hopefully make life a little bit better for us all.

JessInAvalon Sat 21-Sep-13 11:19:49

Agreed Bunnylion. I've posted the petition and information about upcoming hearings at the council for lap dancing clubs on the university feminist society page. Got lots of pro sex industry responses which shocked me. I had thought the younger generation would have been more concerned.

If anyone is on Twitter could they tweet the link to Mumsnet Bristol? I have a locked account but did unlock it so I could ask them to tweet it but they didn't.

Thanks!

Leverette Sun 22-Sep-13 11:30:43

Signed.

CaptChaos Sun 22-Sep-13 19:10:50

Signed.

MoonlightPicnic Sun 22-Sep-13 21:55:15

I'd say that the mixture of frustrated male aggression and scantily dressed young girls, both against a back ground of excessive alcohol consumption at your local nightclub is more of a recipe for trouble then a lap dancing club could ever be.

libertarianj Mon 23-Sep-13 13:47:29

Agreed Bunnylion. I've posted the petition and information about upcoming hearings at the council for lap dancing clubs on the university feminist society page. Got lots of pro sex industry responses which shocked me. I had thought the younger generation would have been more concerned.

Why did it shock you that some feminists believe in freedom of choice and that women should be able to do whatever career they want to , even if it involves striptease? Why make that assumption?

Probably because we assume that most feminists are wised up enough about feminist analysis not to think of lap dancing as a choice that is consequence free for other women.

JessInAvalon Mon 23-Sep-13 21:32:10

Hi all
Just wanted to let Bristol feminists know that the hearing for Urban Tiger (the lap dancing club opposite the Hippodrome) is being held on Monday, 30th September at 10.30am. If anyone wants to come along and sit in the public gallery, that would be really helpful. We were told once by a leading licensing barrister who advised Object (and who now acts for the clubs) that the biggest factor in getting licences refused is the number of people in the public gallery.

There will be a number of people there but all support would be really welcome.

If anyone wants to get in touch to arrange meeting up beforehand, please DM me.

Thanks!
JIA

JessInAvalon Mon 23-Sep-13 21:35:46

It's in City Hall, by the way!

JessInAvalon Mon 23-Sep-13 21:37:30

And huge thanks to all those who have signed and shared the petition - much appreciated!

libertarianj Tue 24-Sep-13 13:05:48

Probably because we assume that most feminists are wised up enough about feminist analysis not to think of lap dancing as a choice that is consequence free for other women. and trying to ban lap dancing clubs isn't exactly consequence free for other women either

Not, it has the very unfortunate consequence that eventually, society might stop valuing women primarily as sex objects presented for male consumption.

Unless you mean that we should be more concerned about the income of a very small number of women who will need to seek alternative employment than about the life chances of 51% of the country's population?

If you are so concerned about women losing their livelihood, why aren't you engaged in protesting about public sector cuts? They affect a great many more women.

because you just want to be free to look at boobies if you want to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now