Petition for the UK to maintain Foreign Aid to Liberia

(39 Posts)
Forgetfulmog Fri 26-Jul-13 20:05:32

Please can everyone sign this.

Apparently there are plans for the Government to stop supporting Liberia financially in March next year. If this does happen then the people of Liberia may have to start paying for their own healthcare. Liberia is one of the worlds poorest countries and needs our ongoing support.

Please can everyone sign this.

Forgetfulmog Sat 27-Jul-13 10:19:27

My reply was to Soulsister who said I had posted in the wrong topic.

kissmyheathenass Sat 27-Jul-13 10:19:49

Forgetful, why would I report you? Grow up

Blimey Heidihole - that's a nice attitude.

Wonder how much you actually give to charity and how many hours you spend volunteering.

kissmyheathenass Sat 27-Jul-13 10:20:43

Sorry, crossed posts op.

Somethingyesterday Sat 27-Jul-13 10:23:17

.....heathen

You must be staggeringly rich!

Do tell just how much of your taxes have been expended in Liberia in the past year.

Has the loss made a very big difference to you? sad

Forgetfulmog Sat 27-Jul-13 11:01:22

Ok apologies for telling people to keep their opinions to themselves, I just get frustrated by this type of attitude. I did come across a document that showed the importance of foreign aid - will find the link

Forgetfulmog Sat 27-Jul-13 13:08:21
kissmyheathenass Sat 27-Jul-13 13:14:48

Somethingyesterday, I am not staggeringly rich, what an odd thing to say. You are missing the point.

Regardless of my personal financial situation, I resent taxes being spent on making corrupt governments richer and therefore more powerful. Foreign aid doesn't alleviate poverty, it makes it worse.

I am not against helping the world's poorest nations, that would be selfish. I am simply pointing out foreign aid doesn't work. There needs to be a rethink in how we help other nations.

Viviennemary Sat 27-Jul-13 13:23:18

I have become increasingly sceptical about foreign aid. As it often does not even help the people it is meant to and only lines the pockets of corrupt officials. Maybe there is good reason for the government's decision to stop sending aid there. And I think if you put this in chat then people who disagree are entitled to respond.

Forgetfulmog Sat 27-Jul-13 14:01:22

Does anyone actually have any proof that Foreign Aid doesn't work?

bemybebe Sat 27-Jul-13 14:09:46

Have to agree with Kiss as a national of a country with the desperately corrupt government it is so sad to see their days extended by artificial injections of money... sad

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 27-Jul-13 14:20:28

Hi all,

Thanks to those who brought this to our attention - we're going to move this to our petition topic.

Forgetfulmog Sat 27-Jul-13 18:26:03

But surely as the country is currently providing free Healthcare, which may not continue if Aid is stopped, it can't be that corrupt! Funds are surely reaching where they need to go!

Forgetfulmog Sun 28-Jul-13 09:10:26

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now