FOR JAMES BULGER- Stop Thompson and Venables cashing in on phone hacking

(92 Posts)
HannahLou06 Wed 13-Mar-13 20:09:16

To all mums.........http://t.co/V206Ret4rp DON'T let this happen! as Denise said this is BLOOD MONEY!! http://t.co/QhxwniS8Yv PLEASE SIGN & Share with as many people as possible to stop them claiming thousands of pounds. Lets show James Bulger we will never forget. This petition needs 100,000 signatures by may 4th 2013 before it can be discussed in Parliament.

Please help to get some Justice for little James

Hannah

Saychelles Thu 14-Mar-13 23:31:11

The points I raise may not be pertinent to the petition but they all point to it & the fact that the law has continually failed James Bulger & many others whilst protecting the so called rights of the perpetrators. The criminals are benefitting from their notoriety or are we to seriously believe had they gone about a normal life their phones would still have been hacked? Clever lawyers paid to do what they do & use Human Rights Act to benefit however twisted an argument. Today Mr Cameron backed down on some of the recommendations of the Levenson enquiry, so if you think we know all the facts of phone hacking or in fact those in power want us to know the full story, it's perhaps time to think again. People in response keep using this word "the law" which now means so many different things to us all.

Sunnywithshowers Thu 14-Mar-13 23:31:51

Saychelles, as far as I am aware lifelong anonymity has only been granted to 4 people: Mary Bell, Venables and Thompson, and Maxine Carr. I am advocating their protection because they are at risk of being killed by a lynch mob.

They don't forfeit their right to protection under the law because of their crimes.

Saychelles Thu 14-Mar-13 23:52:13

Thus far...Mary Bell did not have life long anonymity until after the case which is topic of discussion. Unlikely he'll ever get out but you'd be ok with Ian Huntley living anonymously in your street because he doesn't forfeit his right to protection under the "law"? I want an honest answer about how you'd feel, even if it was just a rumour. Tell me you wouldn't be deeply worried... It'd be ok though because the law says so & you've got to like it.

James Bulger did not forfeit his right to justice just because his voice was taken when he was murdered but do we call 8 years 8 months justice? I know what I think.

Look, at least your debate has been civil but we are going round in circles. Such is the individuality of thought that many people have different opinions. Net mums isn't supporting the petition, as one poster claims, by allowing a platform of debate, it's called freedom of speech & we are lucky to have all been allowed that tonight.
I'm sure there will be future cases that will test the rulings of previous trials to their very limits & as before no one really wins.
Thank you for being civil & allowing me to speak.

tribpot Thu 14-Mar-13 23:55:08

This is Mumsnet, not Net Mums. That's a different site.

Saychelles Fri 15-Mar-13 00:01:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 15-Mar-13 00:10:51

Not understanding the basic facts of the law, yet still coming onto a thread to mouth off, shows a level of immaturity.

We could be like some other countries, Saudi Arabia for example, and not allow basic human rights to prisoners. Or we could be like we are and allow human rights to prisoners. I know which country I'd rather be.

Besides which, they are not even prisoners (maybe Venables still is, I can't remember.)

You could get 6 billion signatures on that list and they'd still get money. It is the law. They are as entitled to it as anyone else. You do not lose your rights when you commit a crime, except your right to freedom. And thank fuck for that, frankly.

Sunnywithshowers Fri 15-Mar-13 00:11:30

Mary Bell was granted life long anonymity because of idiots in the press who tried to track her down for revenge. They were going to out her despite the fact that she has a daughter.

I don't think it's helpful calling posters here immature.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 15-Mar-13 00:12:57

Saychelles, they were 10 when they committed the crime. As horrible as the murder was, what the hell were the courts supposed to do? Bang them up for life in squalor? What the hell good is that going to do anyone? It just brutalises people further.

It really shocks me that people can be so vengeful. It's like everyone has forgotten that you don't have to take an extreme position on every fucking thing.

wannaBe Fri 15-Mar-13 00:13:29

oh yes, let's all live in a society where justice is given out by mindless thugs who don't actually care who it is they're beating up just as long as it is someone. Let's not pretend that the kinds of vijilanti's who go around hounding criminals who have served their time (according to the legal system of this country) are actually doing it because they cared about the victims, no, they're doing it for notariety. These are the same people who hounded a paediatrician because she had the letters paed at the beginning of her title... ah yes, such fine upstanding members of society, probably the same thugs who are out beating each other up on a friday and saturday night in your local town...

The reason why life long anonymity has to be given is because of other people, not because of what they have done..

As for James Bulger's killers, actually no, I don't want to live in a society that locks up two ten year old children for the rest of their lives. Because while what they did was reprehensible, they were ten year old children. Not adults, children, and should have been tried and convicted as such.

So no, I won't be signing and I don't think mn should let this thread stand.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 15-Mar-13 00:19:14

I am actually heartened to see so many people saying that this is shit. I am so sick of reading people going on about hanging the bastards and paedos on every street corner.

I really don't know what's got into the world. I don't remember people being like this when I was growing up, everyone is so hard and cynical. And with no sense. And no idea about the law, yet they feel they have every right to go on about it.

Maybe a move to somewhere like Iran, Saudi where they mete out vigilante justice would suit them better.

Saychelles Fri 15-Mar-13 00:19:16

I haven't asked anyone to sign, I haven't mouthed off & I haven't been abusive like some. I haven't advocated revenge or vigilantism. I have expressed only my opinion which I am free to do, as all of you are & have. The comment I responded to was immature & treated as such.

Is this netmums, mumsnet or mums really don't give a fuck so long as it's not happening in my backyard?

MechanicalTheatre Fri 15-Mar-13 00:23:14

Who said anything about anyone's backyard? Of course no-one wants a paedophile living near them. But what the fuck else are we supposed to do with them? Keep them all locked up? Where? With what money?

You cannot just keep everyone in prison forever when they commit a crime. Someone has to pay for it.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 15-Mar-13 00:25:45

And I'd like to know how the law failed James Bulger. As far as I can see, society failed him when those two boys were allowed to wander the streets with him for hours.

They were given a punishment. They served it. In what way has the law failed here?

LineRunner Fri 15-Mar-13 00:28:55

Is this netmums, mumsnet or mums really don't give a fuck

That comment is pretty low.

alwayslateforwork Fri 15-Mar-13 00:30:38

Blood money?

Sensationalist twaddle.

No.

teatrolley Fri 15-Mar-13 00:30:57

They were children who did a terrible thing. They've been punished for that. Hacking is illegal and they're as entitled to compensation as anyone else.

teatrolley Fri 15-Mar-13 00:34:21

And nobody would be comfortable with anyone who harmed a child living near them. That's why some people are granted anonymity. They have to live somewhere.

Saychelles Fri 15-Mar-13 00:34:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 15-Mar-13 00:35:56

'Is this netmums, mumsnet or mums really don't give a fuck so long as it's not happening in my backyard?'

Mumsnet. It says at the top, under the logo. HTH smile

MechanicalTheatre Fri 15-Mar-13 00:38:02

Were they paedophiles? They were ten. Let's not sensationalise the case. How is that showing any respect for the murdered child?

What are you going to give them my address for? So they can come round and be rehabilitated by me? How's that going to work? Or is it so they can paedo my kids?

Because I thought you weren't advocating violence? But that sounds pretty violent to me.

Basically, what is your solution? Because paedophiles and murderers have to live somewhere and if it has to be my street, then it's my street.

Saychelles Fri 15-Mar-13 00:38:33

Society failed James Bulger, how so? You cannot truly believe that?

Saychelles Fri 15-Mar-13 00:39:45

I didn't say they were paedophiles but you insinuate I did? I used that term to reference people you'd rather not live in your road

wannaBe Fri 15-Mar-13 00:42:15

the thing though is that by being against anonymity you are essentially advocating vijilantiism because that is what will happen if anonymity was removed.

Would I want a known paedophile living in my street? probably not, but the reality is that there are probably unknown paedophiles living in or near my street and it could be argued that the one who is known has at least been flagged by the authorities as being there, the ones most feared are the ones who haven't been caught yet, and yet we don't live our lives in constant fear that x or y next door or down the street might be a paedo.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 15-Mar-13 00:43:56

What has that got to do with anything then? Why are you talking about paedophiles on a thread about James Bulger?

Er, yeah, I truly believe society failed James Bulger. How else do you explain the however many people who walked past a wailing, bleeding toddler? How else do you explain the fact that their parents had obviously not done the best job in bringing them up? I was ten when it happened and I could not get my head around someone my age doing that. What the hell happened in their lives to make them do that?

What do you think? That they were EVIL?

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 15-Mar-13 00:47:24

The fact that two ten year olds were able to abduct and murder a toddler is society's failing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now