My House Name is Missing its Apostrophe

(13 Posts)
cardibach Mon 04-Feb-13 14:42:21

My house name is in ungrammatical Welsh. I find myself apologising to random people whenever I have to give my address to show that I know it is wrong. I feel your pain.

emlud Mon 28-Jan-13 11:12:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Swedes Tue 30-Jun-09 15:23:12

Tutter - LOL I might be able to stretch to both.

Midnight - LOL at belt-and-braces approach.

midnightexpress Tue 30-Jun-09 13:30:16

I thought this might be you Swedes grin.

If you have a smart new sign, you will need the shoes to match.

As for the Land Registry, I like your belt-and-braces approach, though personally wouldn't bother unless it will leave you twitchy at night.

TutTutter Tue 30-Jun-09 13:25:26

are you mad?

shoes, woman, shoes

pookamoo Tue 30-Jun-09 13:18:08

... which means you can buy the lovely shoes grin

pookamoo Tue 30-Jun-09 13:17:37

The Land Registry would probably change it. Just phone them up and say it's a spelling mistake. They are pretty helpful like that and probably won't even make a charge. smile

Swedes Tue 30-Jun-09 13:11:45

Oooh I'm encouraged by you all.

Do you think I might be able to force the Land Registry to change it free of charge, on a point of pedantry? I have thought about it. I imagine the court case would involve the Land Registry's barrister holding up a brass Dunroamin house sign and muttering "I rest my case".

hatwoman Tue 30-Jun-09 13:01:38

change the sign, and always use the apostrophe when you write your address down. not sure I'd bother with the land registry or notifying everyone. It kind of depends if you have a life or not grin

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 30-Jun-09 13:00:19

That would give me deep pain.

Do all these things. Right now.

ooh nice shoes! But ££££££.

Not sure about your house name, it's annoying enough to have no apostrophe in my talk name grin

Swedes Tue 30-Jun-09 12:56:50

My house name is St Marks House (have changed it slightly for this post). The Land Registry entry has no apostrophe. The house sign has no apostrophe. All our post comes to an address with no apostrophe.

It annoys me and I now want to buy a new slate house sign. But I can't bring myself to have the sign made without its apostrophe.

Shall I have the sign made St Mark's House?
Shall I try and change the Land Registry entry as well?
Shall I notify everyone of the minor change in our address as well?

Or shall I buy these shoes instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now