Disco's

(11 Posts)
UnquietDad Mon 12-May-08 11:17:29

Who remembers these crisps having a stray apostrophe in the 70s/80s?

I recall the company (KP) having to give an explanation for their aberrant apostrophe - was it on Watchdog or That's Life or something? They claimed it was so people didn't call them Dis-coss. So why not Discoes? Inelegant, but surely better...

Housemum Mon 12-May-08 11:51:56

Perhaps the apostrophe was for the missing "tecque" in Discotheques??!!

fryalot Mon 12-May-08 11:53:54

would that be "tecque" or "teque" housemum? wink

Housemum Mon 12-May-08 12:04:57

or actually "theque" (I blame trying to type one-handed while bf DD3...)

jura Mon 12-May-08 12:07:48

We're Disco's, we're Disco's
We're KP Disco's,
We're bigger, we're rounder
Will you take a look
We're Disco's, we're Disco's
We're KP Disco's
And we taste as different as we look, look, look...

Am I sad, or what?

Sanguine Mon 12-May-08 16:50:00

Disco sure owned a lot of crisps.

On a similar note, anyone remember Seabrook Crisps? The ones that were '"more" than just a "crisp"', and had speech marks littered all over the packet. We used to have them in our tuck shop at junior school, and I used to wonder who it was that said they were "salt and vinegar" flavour.

This shows that I had pedantic tendancies by the age of 10. Maybe that's why the other children didn't want to play with me.

PuppyMonkey Mon 12-May-08 20:40:57

Maybe, to carry on that discussion they had on The Apprentice the other week, it should have been Discos'.

Sanguine Mon 12-May-08 20:47:14

My husband has just pointed out that, far from being "more" than just a "crisp", Seabrook crisps were "more" than just a "snack". I do remember that they had a list of "ingredients" on the back. It makes you wonder if they were the real ingredients, or whether the list was entirely fabricated.

jura Tue 13-May-08 13:11:19

Nah, we didn't have Seabrook's "crisps" at school, we had Burton's Puffs - chicken, bacon or barbecue flavour - yummy. 2p a packet.

I've never come across "ingredients" - I'd be very "suspicious" if I were "you" grin

asicsgirl Fri 16-May-08 12:38:59

I remember the Seabrooks crisps!!! I still have a packet that I kept because of the "". I was a bit obsessed with these at the time (first year Linguistics student, very eager) and collected quite a few. My favourite was in a hairdresser's window:

We welcome ANTHY our "friendly" new stylist

LOL

piratecat Fri 16-May-08 12:42:36

I loved Golden Wonder crisps, what happened to them??

Yummy--sausage and tomato flavour, and also their cheese and onion.

Also KP Worcester sauce flavour. I probably haven't spelt that right have I?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now