Reeling in horror - teacher has put a MUST OF in DS's reading record book

(101 Posts)
UnquietDad Mon 25-Feb-08 15:54:25

It's there in black biro. In the comment on his record book. Apologising for missing a page and saying they "must of" skipped over it last week.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHH!!!!!!!

From a teacher.

From

a

teacher

FFS!!!

It's like finding a turd in his lunchbox.

Help me, pedants. You are my only hope.

(Glances down corridor, bends and removes tape.)

fransmom Mon 25-Feb-08 15:55:42

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

grin

its must <space> have

the teacher's school report will now read: "must do better"

grin

Message withdrawn

UnquietDad Mon 25-Feb-08 15:56:58

Teacher's handwriting... and... shudder... initials...

UQD, I am beginning to think that you need to give everyone in and associated with your school a lesson on the fundamentals of the English Language. I mean, there's the PTA woman with the heinously dreadful use of apostrophes and exclamation marks and now this.]

There's no hope for the next generation, is there?

Message withdrawn

UnquietDad Mon 25-Feb-08 15:59:02

And it's a "good" school! Top 5 out of 130-odd in the city!

NoBiggy Mon 25-Feb-08 15:59:05

Of course, if this happens often enough it'll just "become" correct.

So nip it in the bud.

Stab him/her at the next parents' evening.

People will understand.

grin

UnquietDad Mon 25-Feb-08 15:59:24

yes, Mustofa Leak

Message withdrawn

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 25-Feb-08 16:01:20

Help me, pedants. You are my only hope.

(Glances down corridor, bends and removes tape.)
PMSL

What you msut do (PLEASE do this) is cross out the 'of' and write 'have' next to it. In red pen

UnquietDad Mon 25-Feb-08 16:01:39

And his sister Wouldof...

UnquietDad Mon 25-Feb-08 16:02:25

Oi be going to do just that, Getorf.

Definitely ask if Mustof is a new class member - I like it!

Boco Mon 25-Feb-08 16:04:55

The teacher must of got one of them special teaching diplomas from the University of Pencilvania, Interweb, 2234788.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 25-Feb-08 16:05:54

<<shoves uqd into a load of cowpats for mocking westcountry accent>>

fransmom Mon 25-Feb-08 16:08:41

it thought it was gerroff moi lan?
<i do live in sw btw grin>

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 25-Feb-08 16:11:55

lol

TrinityRhino Mon 25-Feb-08 16:14:35

correct it with a red marker and comment 'must try harder'

grin

UnquietDad Mon 25-Feb-08 16:15:41

I didn't realise you were a genuine SW-er, getorf. I thought you were just a fan of Viz and "Farmer Palmer"!

I'm incandescent on your behalf Unquiet

fransmom Mon 25-Feb-08 16:20:38

<<fullstops and commas, please, mas grin>>

mumofdjandp Mon 25-Feb-08 16:22:10

circle it and write beside it

u havin a larf?wink

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 25-Feb-08 16:34:50

no, am genuine clotted cream eater and fan of scrumpy.

I don't speak with a Devon accent, though, though, honest guv. But my gran had the stongest wurzel accent known to mankind smile

Rofl at "Pencilavnia" and "Mustofa Dictionary"

I once spoke to a woman on the phone at work,. who answered "A Quittable Life." "Surely you mean Equitable Life," said I. "Yes," she said" "That's wot I said, A Quittable Life."

I found out a few years later while reading the paper that she was probably not far from the mark.

fransmom Mon 25-Feb-08 17:19:33

which region of sw goml? am near "seaside"!!!

RosaIsRed Mon 25-Feb-08 23:19:55

UQD. Tell her it doesn't matter because you were bored of the book anyway and she should of given you a more interesting one, innit.

gigglewitch Mon 25-Feb-08 23:32:48

LOL at this lot. specially turd in lunchbox / musofa dictionary / red-pen correction.

Must tell you - one of my English teachers wrote in my (high school) exercise book
"Don't abbreviate"
it was an absolute classic.
grin

Twiglett Mon 25-Feb-08 23:34:36

OMGoodG

you have to correct it

with a RED PEN

in the book

which she will read

hopefully with mounting horror

and then will never look you in the eye ever ever again

RosaIsRed Mon 25-Feb-08 23:37:34

Could you do it though, Twig?
I just couldn't. I would be too embarrassed for her and it would end up being me who was avoiding the eye contact because of the shame I would be sure she was feeling.

soapbox Mon 25-Feb-08 23:40:59

DS had a 'loveley' in his book recently!

I was close to redlining it on two counts:

1. Please try to use more descriptive words (which is what she usually writes) and

2. Please try harder with the spelling of common usage words.

But I chickened outgringringrin

pofaced Mon 25-Feb-08 23:48:05

Mmm.. go and see the head teacher.... but I didn't do anything when poor DD aged 7 came home and had to write out "rasberry" 5 times because she had written a story involving a raspberry!

RosaIsRed Mon 25-Feb-08 23:50:00

pofaced shock
I would have, I mean of, gone in and demonstrated said rasberry. Loudly.

midnightexpress Tue 26-Feb-08 21:55:49

shock UQD.

It reminds me of a hideous occasion when a good friend asked me to be a referee for her application for teacher training. She gave me the filled in application and it was full of 'would of' and 'should of', among other shockers. And there was I, poised with a bottle of tippex, wondering, should I? Or should I not?

I can't remember what I actually did in the end. She didn't get the place, you will be glad to hear. So it couldn't of been her teaching your DS. I can sleep easy about that at least.

CissyCharlton Tue 26-Feb-08 21:58:00

I had a similar experience when ds1's teacher wrote

Thanks for the lone of the book.

Horrid.

fryalot Tue 26-Feb-08 22:00:16

shock

actually, I am not shocked. I wish I was.

Dd1's English teacher recommended a book for her to read - he wrote it down for her so she wouldn't forget it.

It read "ABOMONATION"

I was abominably annoyed by that.

fryalot Tue 26-Feb-08 22:00:35

oh, pmsl at "don't abbreviate" grin

ara Tue 26-Feb-08 22:00:58

Frightening!

Heated Tue 26-Feb-08 22:07:29

I don't suppose ds can get away with correcting the teacher x3? Or write a message back containing the correct usage? smile

GW, I like writing don't abbrev., the pupils remember the inconsistency, as you did wink.

Janni Wed 27-Feb-08 16:33:48

just got an email to parents from my son's teacher about a walk they're doing. She asks us to pack high-energy food like 'nuts and banana's. Oh dear.

scaryteacher Thu 28-Feb-08 09:59:56

Happens all the time, and when you correct this , colleagues look at you as if you have two heads, and mutter 'why does it matter?'...reply 'because we have to teach cross-curricular literacy doh!'

Another favourite mistake, and one that I spent 15 minutes correcting at the beginning of lessons is the difference between

there
their
they're

and

your
yore
you're

Some teachers get that wrong constantly as well.

Janni Thu 28-Feb-08 17:20:11

scaryteacher - makes me wonder whether there isn't something to be said for home education after all grin

HuwEdwards Thu 28-Feb-08 17:21:49

"must of" like "finding a turd in his lunchbox. "

Surely quote of the week!

Normally these pedantry threads are just a light diversion, but I truly am horrified by this. Especially scaryteacher's report of colleagues saying "why does it matter?"

I am speechless. Turd in the lunchbox analogy very apt.

What can we do?

AlisonD1 Fri 29-Feb-08 13:30:50

I am flitting between horror and falling on the floor laughing grin. Perhaps MNHQ could get together a book of teacher cock-ups and end them to the Secretary of State for education (and copy a few newspapers into it too!).

I had a cracker the other day when I overheard a teacher at a local school. She was fed up of a parent always getting on her ^pedal stall^ about things that don't concern her.

AlisonD1 Fri 29-Feb-08 13:32:01

or perhaps even send them to the Secretary of State (and no, I am not a teacher....).

Yes Alison - surely we could do something like that. I find it so depressing.

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 13:40:36

I'm shock that you're shock.

Hassled Fri 29-Feb-08 13:49:48

Not from a teacher but from the LEA in sample Terms of Reference for Curriculum committees of school governing bodies:

"To...advise the governing body on it's statutory obligations regarding the National Curriculum."

Why are you shock that we're shock, stuffit?

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 14:03:33

I've seen a lot of it Iorek. Ticks on wrong spellings, bad spelling and punctuation by teachers, work uncorrected.
If you think about it, the dumbing down of the curriculum began some time ago. Literacy is one of the better primary areas, but a lot has been lost in the name of the child's self-esteem -- and I'm sure most of us have come across the argument that the story and flow are important, not the handwriting and spelling and punctuation, imagination is more important than knowledge etc. I just think by now a lot of today's teachers will have had that education and they are now passing it on. They are of good faith, and well intentioned, and work hard, but if you weren't taught it in the first place how are you going to hand it down to the next generation?

DumbledoresGirl Fri 29-Feb-08 14:06:06

God this gets to me too (a pedant on the quiet usually).

DS2 came home with a typed spelling list once, headed with the word dissappointment. To me, this was even worse, as the list had been produced on a word processor and even then, had passed scrutiny. I told ds the correct spelling but he as most concerned that if he wrote the correct spelling, his teacher would mark it as wrong because it did not accord with her version.

I am very naive. Dd is only 2 and I haven't experienced this yet.

I do feel we ought to try and do something though.

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 14:08:47

Oh boy. (posting immediately -- haven't read anything you may have said in reaction)

I haven't had the bad experiences with teachers that some have had on here and I have a profound respect for the job that teachers do. I couldn't do it. It's the curriculum past and present that concerns me, not the quality of teacher that implements it. There are good and bad, of course. But I'm old fashioned, basically. I like the old ways -- times tables by rote etc. I'm not keen on the NC and that's what they have to implement -- good teachers and poor teachers alike.

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 14:10:36

Iorek
do you mind if I correct you as we are in pedants' corner

never say "try and"

it is always "try to"

Yup, we have to look out for it and stick at it at home.

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 14:12:51

by the way fancy posting the other night
you're a bit of a brainbox

I don't mind at all, you are right of course. Normally I try to be grammatically correct when in Pedant's Corner, but I was too overcome with indignation and fear for the future.

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 14:18:24

ha ha bonk! grin

now that's funny

Fancy posting? Was it about the Victoria Sponge?

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 14:21:12

No -- it involved lepidoptera and pince-nez .. fancy posting on a pointless thread is always very noticeable.

The Victoria Sponge thread sounds gripping. May have to search through archives.

It is gripping, and ongoing. Someone's having trouble with their raising agents.

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 14:28:15

Perhaps they just made it up so they don't have to tidy their children's bedrooms.

I shan't visit .. even a Victoria Sponge thread could turn nasty these days.

School run calls.

theyoungvisiter Fri 29-Feb-08 14:30:57

Oh. My. God.

Only just stumbled on this thanks to Morningpaper.

I don't normally get exercised about this kind of thing as I am a "language is a malleable and ever-changing social contract rather than a set of fixed and immutable rules" kinda gal.

However THESE from TEACHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! MN do not have a shock emoticon that inadequately expresses my shock.

The rasberry one really made me feel sad! Did you tell your daughter she is wonderful and clever and not wrong at all, Pofaced? Or did you go for the must-uphold-teachorial-status approach?

robinia Fri 29-Feb-08 14:52:20

Had to join this one too. Ds in yr6 had exactly the same grammatical error, in this case "could of" from his teacher. The horror piled on when same teacher proclaimed that apart from a triangle the interior angles of all regular shapes add up to 360 degrees shock I had to correct her on that one, even though ds was sitting there at the time (how embarrassing for her blush)

thomsc Fri 29-Feb-08 15:39:52

I had to give a Statement to the police recently (as a witness!) and a very nice 15 year old plod carefully wrote down a precis of everything I said. I HAD to spend a couple of minutes correcting his spelling mistakes and punctuation.

I know, I know, but I really couldn't sign below anything that badly written.

And yes, it does matter, especially in schools.

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 16:53:06

UQD
wish you hadn't put this in pedants'

let's face it -- it's not pedantry!

scaryteacher Fri 29-Feb-08 19:17:36

I'm a secondary teacher which makes it worse when I'm correcting colleagues. I once had to go head to head with an English teacher who had put 'could of' on the board. She got really cross with me when I corrected it and pointed it that if one writes 'could've' the ''ve' is an abbreviation of 'have' not 'of'. She also bristled when I pointed out that evidently O-levels were better than GCSEs!

The problem is that people don't take the time to proof read their work, and then when they've made 30 photocopies for a class and realise the mistake, it is too expensive / time consuming to either correct the mistake or redo the entire thing.

It seemed to me that colleagues who had O levels could spell fairly well, and those that had done GCSEs had a problem.

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 20:07:21

Once again Scary I find myself wishing you taught at my children's school. smile

Janni Fri 29-Feb-08 20:19:46

No Alison! shock *pedal stall* ???

Shitemum Fri 29-Feb-08 21:40:33

I have just been given a short piece to correct and condense for the parents' association magazine of DD1's nursery. It's about how the 4 year olds in DD1's class are being introduced to reading and writing. It's written by the teacher. It's impossible to read.

colditz Fri 29-Feb-08 21:41:54

<<projective voms in style of Little Britain Elderly Bigot Lady>>

AnnainNZ Fri 29-Feb-08 21:51:06

Working in a nursery for 6 years, I often corrected my colleagues' spelling (probably to their great annoyance)

One of them would insist on writing "We played in the water troff" on the activities board that the parents read at the end of the day. I would sneak out and correct it as I couldn't bear to see it spelt that way.

Pedantic, I know. Oh well

stuffitllama Fri 29-Feb-08 22:00:23

It's not pedantic Anna. It's the way it should be! Good on you.

AitchTwoOh Fri 29-Feb-08 22:04:53

omg UQD, what are you going to do? the red pen? you MUST!

bookwormmum Fri 29-Feb-08 22:25:00

I'd have to correct it hmm. My dd is a phonetic speller at the moment and I don't need her being set any more bad examples. I fumed for days after reading that my dd should 'practise' her numbers in nursery. I wish now I'd suggested that the nursery teacher gave some practice to her spellings (we hadn't hit it off but I decided to refrain).

KellyKateneedsaholiday Thu 06-Mar-08 14:50:32

"I will not except this level of homeework"
My dds teacher wrote this in her maths book last week, I scored it out with yellow highlighter and wrote a comment about prefering slightly untidy handwriting to a poor grasp on the English language.
Parents night next week should be interesting.
Soory about any mistakes in my post but my 2 yr old ds just wiped my original message and is trying to type with me.

flirtygerty Thu 27-Mar-08 15:03:38

I've just received a newsletter from preschool that contains more than 20 grammatical & punctuation errors. I'm horrifed. What do you do about it though that doesn't make you seem like a pompous arse?

wishfort Sat 29-Mar-08 02:43:17

Bookworm - practise is correct in the context of your daughter's numbers, i.e. it's used as verb.

twentypence Sat 29-Mar-08 05:13:09

Ds had his story writing book corrected. He has been at school a month and so when he sounded out "bought" he just wrote "b g t" and she wrote in the letters to make "brought".

I must ask her if she found anything she wanted to "bruy" in the shop.
Please tell me this is just a NZ thing.

clam Sun 30-Mar-08 23:26:10

Seen on a message board outside DD's classroom (at previous school, of course. Had to move her instantly!): Please bring a carrier bag tomorrow. We will be tidying draws.

twentypence Mon 31-Mar-08 03:39:01

Ds went to an open day for gifted children and the first thing the teacher did was write "marvelous" on the board.

So that was marvellous.

Jackstini Mon 31-Mar-08 15:45:55

Notice at our nursery reads 'parents should remover there shoes when entering baby or toddler rooms'
Drives me mad; and yes I have pointed it out!

angiebaby78 Mon 31-Mar-08 16:13:16

shock by it all!!

Twinkie1 Mon 31-Mar-08 16:17:56

DD has the word camoflage in her spelling book this week - I've corrected it in red pen and put a big red question mark next to it!

collision Mon 31-Mar-08 16:24:22

I was helping at school the other day and the teacher (yr 1) wrote

'shiney'

'scarey'

'scaley'

on the board to describe a crocodile.

This means it wasnt a mistake as she did it 3 times!

I was shock but didnt want to come across as a smartarse so said nothing.

UnquietDad Mon 31-Mar-08 16:26:31

clam - believe it or not, the same "draws" mistake turns up on the John Lewis Advent Calendar box.

captainmummy Mon 31-Mar-08 16:27:54

I had an advertising letter sent to me recently, selling I-don't-know-what, but there were literally dozens of grammatical and punctuation mistakes in one A4 sheet. I read half of it (with difficulty, as it seemed to say the exact opposite of what it meant) and sat down with the red pen. I sent it back to the company, with a margin-note - something along the lines of 'is this supposed to make me want to buy from you?'

Never heard back.

wotsfortea Mon 31-Mar-08 16:32:33

Reminds me of the notice at the school fete which stated 'Cakes can be bought in the Dinning Hall' in two foot high letters in case nobody noticed ....

wotsfortea Mon 31-Mar-08 16:38:51

Or do I mean letters two feet high? (Walks away and ponders.)

Particularly quiet period at work ...

clam Mon 31-Mar-08 17:07:32

UnquietDad. John Lewis!!!shock. And yet, a fellow pedant commented only last night that Waitrose (JLPartnership) actually goes as far as to write 6 items or fewer on their quickie tills. Someone's head must roll for this.

captainmummy Mon 31-Mar-08 21:31:22

I thought it was supposed to be 'fewer' if it refered to a number? It always sounds wrong tho.

clam Mon 31-Mar-08 22:06:48

Sorry, captain. Mis-leading post. Yes, fewer is correct in that instance. My point was supposed to say that if JL can get that right, then who's responsible for "draw" on the thing UQD was referring to? <Clam retreats blush, realising the stupidity of not proof-reading a post in the Pedant's corner>

KerryMum Mon 31-Mar-08 22:08:10

you lot crack me up.

pinkteddy Mon 31-Mar-08 22:21:04

lol at captainmummy and the advertising letter! grin

KerryMum Mon 31-Mar-08 22:28:44
KerryMum Mon 31-Mar-08 22:28:58

sorry wrong thread!

yogabird Mon 31-Mar-08 22:39:35

Clarification needed please...is it fewer items and less people or how does it work? I've wondered about this for a while and asked an English teacher once, she said, 'it's easy, one's countable and one's accountable' What on earth does that mean? Can anyone help?

twentypence Tue 01-Apr-08 18:56:33

Fewer people - you could count people.

Less water - you can't count water.

It's to avoid sentences like "There are less qualified scientists" which is ambiguous as it could mean they only have a BSc rather than a Phd or that that they have all buggered off to America leaving the UK short of scientists.

yogabird Tue 01-Apr-08 19:27:23

twentypence - you star! How clear, how accurate, how I understand it now grin thank you very much

twentypence Wed 02-Apr-08 04:05:28

I've used that explanation several times to my own mother and she still refuses to understand. I'm glad to know it's not my explanation.

fembear Wed 02-Apr-08 09:08:54

"she still refuses to understand" ... LOL!

I like your explanation 20p. It really bugs me that I can never remember which is which so I have just invented an aide memoire:
You could have an alliterative 'four or fewer' or 'five or fewer' but there is no countable/number which would give an alliteration with the 'l' in less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now