Charles' or Charles's?

(11 Posts)
californiaburrito Sat 30-Jul-16 17:55:14

I have just received some sharp criticism for using Charles's (names changed to protect the innocent). Obviously, I have consulted other reputable sources but I understand/appreciate/admire the strongly held beliefs of the Mumsnet pedant's and I am now seeking your advice.

So was I right or was I wrong?

soggyweetabix Sat 30-Jul-16 17:57:03

I understand the correct form to be Charles', but I don't think it ever looks right and so I usually add and extra 's' for good measure!

NickNacks Sat 30-Jul-16 17:57:28

Both are correct.

Curlgurl Sat 30-Jul-16 17:59:13

I think both are correct but Charles' is generally used as Charles's looks messy

LurkingQuietly Sat 30-Jul-16 18:00:25

Both are correct as long as you're consistent. I always use Charles'.

BoGrainger Sat 30-Jul-16 18:11:41

I would always add the 's' because that how I say it. I wouldn't say 'Is that Charles coat?' I would say 'Is that Charleses coat?' Likewise James's and Giles's etc

californiaburrito Sat 30-Jul-16 18:16:44

Wow, you're fast!

I have chosen to use Charles's to mimic the pronunciation. I also have to contend with a lot of nicknames like Roz's or Becks's so it just made more sense. sorry, if that's a grammar dripfeed I think that the person concerned with Charles is probably consistently Charles' themselves and therefore not too open to my view.

Fallstar Sat 30-Jul-16 18:16:44

Agree that either is correct as long as you're consistent. I would always use Charles's, James's etc.

DoinItFine Sat 30-Jul-16 18:21:08

Both are correct.

I prefer Charles's.

It matches the clearer pronunciation.

birchygoo Sun 28-Aug-16 22:55:39

Both are correct

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Aug-16 23:03:15

Both are correct. I take my inspiration from Bridget Jones's Diary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now