Have we done 'prewarn'?

(13 Posts)
HopeClearwater Sat 26-Mar-16 13:02:47

People keep 'prewarning' each other these days. What happened to simply warning someone that something is going to happen? Warnings have to happen before the event or they aren't warnings.

Sigh...

absolutelynotfabulous Sat 26-Mar-16 13:04:41

I agree. Warn is enough. Unless you're warning about a warning, I suppose....

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 26-Mar-16 13:05:48

Ditto pre-order.

Trills Sat 26-Mar-16 13:12:01

I don't know about pre-order.

I could go into a cafe and order a sandwich that I want immediately.

Or I could phone them up and pre-order a platter of sandwiches that I want on Tuesday at 12 for a meeting.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 26-Mar-16 13:19:55

That's still just ordering though.
If you can't do something after an event (post-order, post-warn) then you don't need to use the pre prefix.

You can order your sandwiches 2 years ahead, but you're still just ordering them, not pre-ordering.

DadDadDad Sat 26-Mar-16 21:50:44

Actually, I think pre-order has been appropriated in marketing to mean ordering something that is not yet available, eg pre-ordering a book that has a future publication date. If a word provides a distinction then I can't see a problem.

I agree that pre-warn has no distinction from warn that I can think of, so it is silly.

The other silly one is pre-prepare.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 27-Mar-16 00:38:18

Pre-book? As in "I have pre-booked some cinema tickets".

And while we're at it, what about "oven-baked"? Are there any other ways to bake?

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 27-Mar-16 00:42:43

Mrs you could tandoori bake I guess but you're right that it's mostly tautology. As is pre-warn.
People seem to need to give everything extra emphasis.

HopeClearwater Mon 28-Mar-16 17:36:05

Yes! So much extra emphasis on stuff these days. 'Opposite' is now 'polar opposite'. Being rushed to hospital is now being 'blue-lighted in'. All the drama... And then the overstating of bog standard everyday tasks: finding a nice pair of curtains becomes 'sourcing window dressings' and there's all those people for whom phoning a few builders and arranging a plumber to come round has turned into 'project management. Pffft.

Trills Mon 28-Mar-16 18:05:11

Pan fry is OK thought because you could also deep fry or wok fry.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 28-Mar-16 18:59:16

Hand cooked. Isn't everything?

The one that really irritates me though is "sheer volume of traffic".

Trills Mon 28-Mar-16 19:06:50

Or isn't everything NOT hand cooked, because you don't cook with your hands? (I know some people have warm hands but not that warm) grin

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 28-Mar-16 21:18:40

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now