"Punctuation is not an apparatus of elitist repression but a system of information, at the disposal of all. There can be no reliable clarity without it"

(10 Posts)
CuttedUpPear Sat 09-Jan-16 11:46:05

I nicked this off Clive James and am posting it here so I know where to find it in an argument.

DadDadDad Mon 11-Jan-16 12:49:12

Do you get into many arguments about punctuation? And have you ever been accused of elitist repression? smile

MirandaGoshawk Fri 15-Jan-16 12:44:14

Yep, he is so right if I understand all that correctly.

Cooroo Sat 16-Jan-16 08:43:20

The same is true of big words. They don't cost money and are available to all. If you don't understand it, look it up. If you like it, remember and use it. Otherwise never mind.

Yes to punctuation. I'm trying to encourage a colleague to write meaningful emails rather than streams of consciousness. I suggested he could put in commas where he paused, to aid the reader. He says he understands the emails perfectly! Actually I don't think he uses commas when he speaks either.

SonyaAtTheSamovar Sat 16-Jan-16 08:58:15

Love this. Thanks.

crabb Sat 16-Jan-16 09:01:21

I love Clive James. Where does the quote come from?

overthehillandroundthemountain Sat 16-Jan-16 09:08:10

"There can be no reliable clarity without it"
Love it!

Pedantic question: can one have unreliable clarity?

CuttedUpPear Sun 17-Jan-16 00:35:47

Good point hill; probably not!

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 17-Jan-16 00:38:40

That's very nice.

Czerny88 Sat 09-Apr-16 18:03:13

Just resurrecting this thread (I've only just discovered Pedants' Corner) to say... that I can't... stand it when people... punctuate... like this... So lazy and imprecise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now