Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Done!

(6 Posts)
Naicecuppatea Wed 26-Mar-14 14:17:59

Am I correct that it is not gramatically correct to say 'done' in the following context - "I done my homework already, At school I done drawing, playing.....". My children say it and I am always correcting them, saying it should be 'did', but it seems lots of adults including one of my DC's support teachers says it, in which case I am fighting a losing battle!

Is it a dialect thing, we're in the SE? It drives me mad!

Chocomint Wed 26-Mar-14 14:20:29

You are correct. It also drives me mad. Ideally it is "I did my homework" or "I have done my homework".

Naicecuppatea Wed 26-Mar-14 14:21:53

Thanks choco, that's exactly what I tell them. I hear it at least once a day from adults too.

JessieMcJessie Wed 26-Mar-14 16:48:40

"I have done my homework" or "I did my homework." Never, ever "I done my homework. "

I thought this thread was going to be about the growing tendency amongst British English speakers to use "done" for "finished"as in "are you done with that coffee?"

I think it comes from websites having a "done" button to click on when you have finished filling in a form. I really dislike it.

chateauferret Thu 27-Mar-14 21:01:30

Londoners often like to use past participles as though they were preterites and Glaswegians like to use preterites in the place of past participles. "Et's aw went wrang".

chateauferret, can you give an example of the Londoners'? not having understood

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now