'He doesn't live here anymore' OR 'he doesn't live here any more' - which is correct?

(11 Posts)
LivUpNorth Sat 15-Mar-14 10:59:27

I've been told at work to use 'anymore' in that context, but the word 'anymore' doesn't exist in my 1991 copy of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary.

I would never use 'anymore' as it looks so wrong and is wrong . Is it a modern thing that's now 'correct'? <irritated>

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Mar-14 11:01:58

I'd never use anymore as a word. It looks totally wrong, although my autocorrect has no issues with it I notice.

LivUpNorth Sat 15-Mar-14 11:42:16

Hmm, I've been googling, seems to be that 'anymore' is a standard modern US variant that some UK publishing houses accept.

I'd correct it to 'any more' every time - 'anymore' looks like slang to me.

WilsonFrickett Sat 15-Mar-14 14:28:49

Oh god, does that mean 'alot' is going to become acceptable soon? It is definitely any more.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 15-Mar-14 15:15:52

The migration to the closed form in the US creates additional complexities for writers and editors because it is generally correct only to mean "no longer" as in "I don't buy shoes anymore because I don't need any more shoes."

LauraBridges Sat 15-Mar-14 15:27:04

I have never seen anymore in my life. It is not a word.

CountessOfRule Sat 15-Mar-14 16:56:07

Oh God.

Not acceptable yet. Looks as illiterate as "alright".

sad

LivUpNorth Sun 16-Mar-14 20:37:37

I knew I could rely on MN for the truth wink

Beastofburden Sun 16-Mar-14 20:40:47

Just say "any longer" the Americans haven't messed with that yet

FuckyNell Sun 16-Mar-14 20:42:56

A table. A chair. A horse. A LOT!!!!!!!

This is what we had to write a million times if we used 'alot'

JeanSeberg Thu 20-Mar-14 22:14:06

Even though it's wrong don't some people think there are two different meanings?

- I don't want any more potatoes
- I don't live there anymore

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now