How would you write "MCing"???

(10 Posts)

I mean I wouldn't, personally, but this is from some text about a DJ's career to date. At the moment it says MC'ing & that's not right either

Context is

'from exclusive parties to MC’ing for X club and presenting a host of radio shows'

I don't think 'being MC' would work

Any ideas?

amicissimma Thu 20-Feb-14 16:13:59

I suppose what you wrote in your thread title would be OK. But for the benefit of fogeys like me who don't know what MC means, writing it all out would be better!

Thanks, amicissimma smile

You saying that made me google MC - I knew it means Master of Ceremonies but I would have struggled to define it! Compere is approx the same role; but turning that into a present participle is also a bit fraught.

So although MCing is clunky I think I'll stick with it

streakybacon Fri 21-Feb-14 08:54:29

Some people write it in full - emceeing.
It's horrid but it's another option.

hootloop Fri 21-Feb-14 09:09:59

Acting as MC, like this:

From exclusive parties to acting as MC for X club and presenting a host of radio shows.

NetworkGuy Fri 21-Feb-14 23:09:43

Think hootloop has the right idea. Presented in a fuller sentence, it reads well with no 'clunkiness' smile

WMittens Sat 22-Feb-14 21:35:56

Compere is approx the same role;

But not really accurate in the context of club music; 'vocalist' or 'rapper' would be a better synonym.

I would go with emceeing.

Thanks all for suggestions

It's already gone though; I put MCing in the end confused

(WMittens, the club concerned isn't a music club, it's an in-house broadcast on match day for a Premier League football club - would that make any difference to your 'emceeing'?)

MCing is fine. Changing it to compere or similar changes the meaning. It's the same with DJing - you wouldn't say disc jockeying, would you? Makes you sound very stuffy & disapproving!

gamerchick Sun 23-Feb-14 20:13:45

I would say MCing as that's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title.

Or that annoying noise someone makes to somebody else mixing on the decks.

even for what you've described for what's it's for I would say MCing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now