Homophones

(8 Posts)
Seminyak Mon 17-Feb-14 23:31:46

Just having a chat with DH and now I can't sleep because I need to know:

Are homophones based on accents or is there some official kind of accent that rules whether words sound the same or not??

Eg DH would pronounce 'book' and 'buck' the same, so are they homophones?

He pronounces 'duck' as if it's spelt 'dook' in my accent, to rhyme with 'book'.

Ok the word 'book' has lost all meaning to me now. Can anyone explain homophones to me? smile

Ferguson Tue 18-Feb-14 19:17:59

Maybe contact 'mrz' on Primary Ed. as she is one of the most knowledgeable teachers on these kind of things. Or try an English teacher in Secondary Ed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophone - has a bit about accents

Seminyak Wed 19-Feb-14 11:47:01

Oh yay replies! Ah, he lacks a foot-strut split. Very interesting, thanks!!

It's very much dependent on accent. I was on a phonics training course where there was a fascinating side discussion about paw/poor/pour/pore. They are homophones to me, but the lady from Glasgow had three very different ways to say them.

I am scottish and the only 2 homophones from that list would be pour and pore as paw and poor sound totally different to each other and to pour/pore as well

Ilove Exactly! "Poor" has two syllables to most Scots, sounding more like "poo-er" to my English ears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now