YOU WERE NOT SAT, YOU WERE SITTING. ARRRRGH.

(25 Posts)
ohmymimi Sat 15-Feb-14 11:59:39

And breathe. Sorry, if I post on AIBU I'll get snotty comments. blush

Ruralninja Sat 15-Feb-14 12:01:55

Oh god yes I'm with you on this....I despise 'was sat'. It makes me feel like Victor Meldrew inside.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Sat 15-Feb-14 12:03:33

The one that makes me see red is 'Advanced Warning'. I always want to yell 'Where's the Basic Warning?' It's Advance. ADVANCE ADVANCE ADVANCE!!!!!

Gosh, that's better.

Shodan Sat 15-Feb-14 12:09:20

'I was sat' is one of my MIL's pet hates.

For some reason, I am currently being irked by people who are 'adverse' to things.

GaryTheTankEngine Sat 15-Feb-14 12:09:37

It sort of annoys me that people get upset by this.

Where I'm from (rural West Country) this is entirely correct, because often people don't speak standard English, they speak the dialect. It's not massively different from standard any more, but some things are still different.

Having that as my standard of English - used in shops, schools, hospitals and interviews - I think it sounds very dumb when people say 'I was sitting'

I always think: who are you to tell me that your version of English is 'better' than mine?

catkind Sat 15-Feb-14 12:10:59

I was sat, the waiter sat me by the window?

Pantygirdl Sat 15-Feb-14 12:14:10

I always think: who are you to tell me that your version of English is 'better' than mine?

yes that

muppetthecow Sat 15-Feb-14 12:14:13

I'm getting quite irritated with the BBC commentators saying 'she is currently sat in the gold medal position'. No she isn't! She is sitting

Totally with you OP!

(Gary - I'm also from the West Country)

BabyMummy29 Sat 15-Feb-14 12:23:36

One of my pet hates at Olympics time is the use of medal as a verb.

The verb is meddle which means something entirely different.

And also saying that a single competitor will have to go back and regroup.

prism Sat 15-Feb-14 16:54:45

This is Pedants' Corner, not the Dialect Appreciation Society- people in the West Country can say what they like, and I love the way they flaunt their disregard for grammar by saying things like "'er's sat by the window" (translation; "It is sitting by the window"), but that doesn't make it grammatically correct.

We have standards here, and they are higher than Timothy Leary on a Sunday.

ohmymimi Sat 15-Feb-14 17:41:44

Gary I grew up in the Vale of Evesham, where Asum be spoke. Folks ud say theym wuz sat all over the shop, an oyl tell thee fer why, coz when yoom frum Asum you bist uzter a sayin it. Oy beunt in Asum ne more an Oy sez 'was sitting' because it is grammatically correct and I'm a pedant.

But feel free to be annoyed.smile

ohmymimi Sat 15-Feb-14 17:47:31

BabyMummy Makes me grind my teeth too. Hadn't picked up on the singleton regrouping. Something else to shout at the TV at, thanks BM

Aboyandabunny Sat 15-Feb-14 17:48:10

A presenter on breakfast TV said this earlier this week.

ohmymimi Sat 15-Feb-14 17:50:19

prism Timothy Leary! I miss the sixties now I'm in my sixties.

ohmymimi Sat 15-Feb-14 17:51:28

'the Sixties'

Showy Sat 15-Feb-14 18:01:44

Dialect is fine. Sat is creeping into regular use. Posting in Pedants' Corner however, is preaching to the converted. Nobody is going to see this and change their ungrammatical ways.

Given that 'literal' is now defined in the OED as also meaning 'figurative', I think we should all just give up and converse in a series of grunts and shrugs.

BabyMummy29 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:05:15

I'm so glad to have found this section where I can get things off my chest and share them with like-minded pedants.

I think if these comments were posted in a general thread, you would just get the usual "SPAG doesn't matter anyway" sort of comments.

prism Sun 16-Feb-14 11:27:36

Let me see; "SPAG"- is it Alphabetti Spaghetti, but with correct spelling and grammar?

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 16-Feb-14 18:01:16

grin at prism and Timothy Leary on a Sunday. I also remember the Sixties, ohmymimi.

I particulary love outraged threads about "I was sat" because this is a linguistic quirk that can't be blamed on us Americans. smile

Sprink Sat 22-Feb-14 12:26:27

Showy--that was the moment when the OED jumped the shark. I can no longer revere it as a resource.

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 12:29:26

oh fuck i know

i corrected someone only today wrt that

DrownedGirl Sat 22-Feb-14 12:31:41

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/ask_about_english/071231/

IslaValargeone Sat 22-Feb-14 12:36:18

With regard to *catkind's post.
Wouldn't it be seated, as in the waiter seated me by the window?
Genuine question, not a dig.

LeBearPolar Sat 22-Feb-14 12:43:13

I hate "I was sat". I also hate "I was laid (but pronounced led) down" - so "I was led down when..."

Re. medal - I find the habit of turning nouns into verbs really annoying. And vice versa! When I'm marking essays, I make a point of targeting things such as 'This impacts on the reader..." and "This quote means..."
I also hate the word 'relatable' meaning, I think, that we can relate to something a writer says - so "Duffy's description of love is very relatable" confused

The non-pedants in the world really don't want me as their English teacher grin

LeBearPolar Sat 22-Feb-14 12:47:43

I like this article on 'literally'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now