Its a PackED lunch.

(61 Posts)

All those threads at the start of the new school year recently. All those mentions of making 'a pack lunch' or 'pack lunches'.

When you are making the lunch, you pack it, into the lunchbox.

When all the contents are in, its a PACKED lunch.

<goes off to find something proper to occupy time on day off>

PinocchiosLeftNostril Wed 23-Oct-13 10:01:46

With my Glasgy accent, it's a pact lunch. smile But I write is as packed lunch.

Actually, wouldn't that be the same with all accents? confused

MadeOfStarDust Wed 23-Oct-13 10:21:10

ohmy... grin

Can't believe I started this thread then forgot about it! It is (see what i did there wink) my longest thread ever.

However my excuse for disappearing was that I have been far too busy making packed lunches to be dithering on mumsnet.

I got all pedantic again today when within 10 mins of each other, my mum said she'd been to Tesco's and my friend said she was going to Asda's. Arrrggggh.

Btw I blame the autocorrect for any mistakes in my op....

It may be a boxed set, but it most certain is not a boxed set on sky anytime. There are no bloody boxes involved. It's downloadable content.

We always had a 'play-piece' for playtime at primary school. It was never actually a piece (it was usually crisps or biscuits).

That would be 'most certainly is not' in the first post. I blame autocorrect too. grin

ReallyOverThis Mon 09-Dec-13 13:24:44

Arbitrary, "playpiece" does bring back memories, usually of scrounging Monster Munch off my friends because I wasn't allowed a playpiece. Going back to the sandwich definition of "piece", non- Scots may also be interested to know that the filling is often described using "and" eg "a piece and jam", "a piece and sausage". Works for rolls too, hence the sandwich shop on Buchanan St called "Roland Butter" grin

YoDiggity Mon 09-Dec-13 13:25:38

Yes. And I get a bit twitchy when people refer to packed lunches as pack-ups as well.

ohtanmybum Tue 10-Dec-13 20:04:58

I've just notice this thread has reignited. Arbitrary, if you are still out there, would that be a downloadable content set that is available on Sky Anytime?

I don't think we had a name for our school break snack, it was just "What have you got for break?". Mine was either Ryvita and Marmite or (gloriously,on Monday) a dripping sandwich (a smear of beef jelly, then dripping with a sprinkle of white pepper on thick, white crusty bread - now that was a piece.)

ohtanmybum Tue 10-Dec-13 20:06:41

'Roland Butter' fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now