Practice or Practise

(12 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Sun 29-Sep-13 10:56:06

I probably asked this before but I've forgotten what is correct.
I know practise is a verb
Practice is a noun.
Is it 'Do some piano practice or 'do some piano practise'
Is it 'Practise your writing' - ( I think this is right) or 'Practice your writing'
A doctor's practice. ?
He is practising medicene.
Aghhhh, so difficult.
Is it joined writing or joint writing?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 29-Sep-13 12:31:21

You have it nailed!

Come and do your piano practiCe.
A doctor's practiCe Costs a lot to set up.
PractiSe Singing every day.
PractiCe makes perfeCt.
I muSt practiSe my lineS.

PS I'd say, Joined up writing.

LiberalPedant Sun 29-Sep-13 14:54:09

I read on another thread that an easy way to remember the difference is that "ice" is a noun and "practice" has ice in it.

BTW, the distinction is not used in US English; it is "practice" for both.

Greythorne Sun 29-Sep-13 14:55:33

Think of advice (noun) and advise (verb) and you will never get it wrong.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 29-Sep-13 19:40:33

Thank you. DN is doing joined up writing. He calls it joint writing!!!

Advise & advice is my way of remembering it too. Just substitute in your head. Ds is [advising] the piano = practising. He has to do his piano [advice] = piano practice.

Cooroo Wed 02-Oct-13 23:47:26

Devise/device is a similar pairing. Refuse is pronounced differently if it is a noun or a verb but the spelling is the same. Must be more!

LiberalPedant Fri 04-Oct-13 16:10:35

I think it is interesting that American English preserves the advise/advice and device/devise distinctions, but not practice/practise. I think the reason is that, in the other pairings, the words are pronounced differently, but practice/practise are pronounced the same.

Liberal - we had this discussion on here a while back. Apparently there are big areas of the US that still use both practice and practise.

But in the 'standard' US usage, practise isn't recognised. (recognized grin )

LiberalPedant Fri 04-Oct-13 20:59:23

Miranda Do you have a link to that thread? I really don't think that there are many instances of the distinction used in US English today. I think that it would not necessarily be wrong, but it would be unusual.

This is interesting:

books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=practiced%2Cpractised&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=5&smoothing=3

The thread was about Aussie English. An MNer said that in her part of the US they use both. Here's the link from the thread:

Here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now