My homework what I have to do.

(16 Posts)
Flowerpotmum Fri 06-Sep-13 17:20:01

Eldest child came home with a homework diary.
Inside is printed, multiple times the sentence 'My homework what I have to do'.

It just doesn't sit right and sounds odd when said.
The 'what' should be replaced by 'that' surely?.
Is it just me over thinking it?. Is there a technical term for why is sounds odd?.
Thanks in advance :-)

Please be kind.. I name changed as I was a bit scared to post in here with all you clever peeps!

ArgyMargy Fri 06-Sep-13 21:53:30

I find this hard to believe. Even if you replaced "what" with "that", it would still be a dreadful heading. What's wrong with just writing My Homework???

ArgyMargy Fri 06-Sep-13 21:54:28

Sorry, Flowerpot, I didn't answer your question! I don't know about a technical term - how about "wrong"?!

YonilyDevotedToYou Fri 06-Sep-13 22:01:05

Do you think it is missing a colon, so should read 'My homework: what I have to do ' at the top of a list of instructions?

gwencooper81 Fri 06-Sep-13 22:01:46

Thanks Argymargy,now am I brave enough to bring it to the teachers attention?!. Yes, you're right 'My homework' would have caused far less annoyance in our household tonight!.

gwencooper81 Fri 06-Sep-13 22:03:54

Balls! I'm outed now! Yes a colon would make it make more sense I suppose. It's annoyed me a little too much I think!, no one else has mentioned -noticed - a problem with it.

JustBecauseICan Fri 06-Sep-13 22:04:33

Yonily's suggestion would make it OK. Otherwise it should be "that" or "which" I have to do (but both still sound clumpy and unnatural)

G'wan, be brave. Tell the teacher grin.

gwencooper81 Fri 06-Sep-13 22:10:42

I can't tell her! I think the diaries are a whole school initiative, I have a younger child who's teacher is a bit more approachable so I'll casually mention in to her instead. Thank you for answering.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 06-Sep-13 22:40:41

The technical term for this might be wise-ism. It sounds like Ernie's 'play what I wrote' doesn't it?

ArgyMargy Fri 06-Sep-13 23:12:27

Good spot Yonily!

YonilyDevotedToYou Sun 08-Sep-13 21:17:09

English teacher here bows

This would give me the rage though. I sympathise OP!

JessieMcJessie Thu 12-Sep-13 07:51:44

gwencooper did you raise it with the school?

Cooroo Sat 14-Sep-13 20:24:14

That would be 'whose teacher'!

Definitely must be a missing colon. Would have upset me too!

Kleptronic Sat 14-Sep-13 20:29:14

It could be, 'My homework, which I have to do.' I don't think 'that' goes either. I can't justify the previous statement though!

I also reckon the colon theory is correct, in terms of the original intention.

campion Mon 16-Sep-13 06:22:18

You wouldn't have 'My homework, which I don't have to do'.Of course you have to do it-it goes without saying.

Homework task would do fine.

mrspremise Sun 22-Sep-13 10:38:47

Argh, just argh... angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now