Diarise

(9 Posts)

I received the school newsletter today in which parents were requested to, 'diarise the following'. Is this correct? I haven't heard it before and it looks and sounds strange.

Ugh, that's horrible! Presumably some twit has picked it up somewhere and thinks it sounds efficient and/or impressive. I'm surprised it's not 'diarize' though hmm.

WMittens Sat 24-Aug-13 23:04:34

I hear it all the time in an office environment.

In use since 1846 according to etymonline. 'Diarize' would be the correct spelling taking into account the Greek root, but -ize and -ise are both acceptable.

WMittens Sat 24-Aug-13 23:05:01

Oh well, I'll just have to grin and bear it. Still don't like it wink.

WMittens Sun 25-Aug-13 14:49:41

Me neither.

Amrapaali Sun 25-Aug-13 15:02:30

Hate, hate random verbalisation of words. Diarise, FFS!

Another pet peeve is impact. "Is this impacting you?" No. Just don't use impacting, impacted etc, unless you are talking about a wisdom tooth.

Affecting, affected, much better. Or "have an impact on."

Phlojo Sun 25-Aug-13 15:03:48

OED takes it back to 1827, Briish source, in the sense of keeping a diary. I first heard it, c1987, from a rather officious boss seeking a meeting. 'We must diarize, Phlo'. (Yuk, must we?)

Not the prettiest word.

JessieMcJessie Tue 03-Sep-13 18:13:25

Totally normal in my office, and we abhor Americanisms. Lawyers diarise deadlines all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now