Conjunction v Connective

(8 Posts)
flumperoo Sat 17-Aug-13 11:48:01

Right, I've got it now! Thanks smile
For anyone else looking for an easy explanation of the difference between conjunctions and connectives, I came across THIS

Conjunctions are always connectives.

flumperoo Thu 15-Aug-13 22:34:07

confused

Thank you for the replies. Could anyone please give an example of a
1) sentence with a connective which is not a conjunction
and a
2) sentence with a conjunction which is not a connective?

or have I missed the point? [quite likely] smile

Maria33 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:25:46

Popular

Maria33 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:25:27

I think the term connective is poilar in school because it is an easy word for children to grasp: connectives connect ideas smile

Maria33 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:23:35

Wikipedia

In grammar, a conjunction (abbreviated conj or cnj) is a part of speech that connects two words, sentences, phrases or clauses. A discourse connective is a conjunction joining sentences. This definition may overlap with that of other parts of speech, so what constitutes a "conjunction" must be defined for each language. In general, a conjunction is an invariable grammatical particle, and it may or may not stand between the items it conjoins.

Connectives didn't exist when I was at school!

Conjunctions - and, but, because. They join clauses together.

And, but and because are also connectives but there are about another gazillion words and phrases that are connectives too. Examples: however, therefore, on the other hand, moreover - all that stuff.

Connectives connect ideas IMO, and can be very different from each other grammatically.

That's not clear at all is it???

flumperoo Thu 15-Aug-13 22:07:40

Can anyone explain to me 'simply' the difference between conjunctions and connectives please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now