Conjunction v Connective

(8 Posts)
flumperoo Thu 15-Aug-13 22:07:40

Can anyone explain to me 'simply' the difference between conjunctions and connectives please?

Connectives didn't exist when I was at school!

Conjunctions - and, but, because. They join clauses together.

And, but and because are also connectives but there are about another gazillion words and phrases that are connectives too. Examples: however, therefore, on the other hand, moreover - all that stuff.

Connectives connect ideas IMO, and can be very different from each other grammatically.

That's not clear at all is it???

Maria33 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:23:35

Wikipedia

In grammar, a conjunction (abbreviated conj or cnj) is a part of speech that connects two words, sentences, phrases or clauses. A discourse connective is a conjunction joining sentences. This definition may overlap with that of other parts of speech, so what constitutes a "conjunction" must be defined for each language. In general, a conjunction is an invariable grammatical particle, and it may or may not stand between the items it conjoins.

Maria33 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:25:27

I think the term connective is poilar in school because it is an easy word for children to grasp: connectives connect ideas smile

Maria33 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:25:46

Popular

flumperoo Thu 15-Aug-13 22:34:07

confused

Thank you for the replies. Could anyone please give an example of a
1) sentence with a connective which is not a conjunction
and a
2) sentence with a conjunction which is not a connective?

or have I missed the point? [quite likely] smile

Conjunctions are always connectives.

flumperoo Sat 17-Aug-13 11:48:01

Right, I've got it now! Thanks smile
For anyone else looking for an easy explanation of the difference between conjunctions and connectives, I came across THIS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now