Writing training?

(5 Posts)
Toomuchtea Fri 02-Aug-13 09:56:12

One of my clients has asked me if there are any training courses his writers can go on to get over their occasional habit of throwing a thousand words at a concept they don't understand in the hope that some of them will stick.

I know there are creative writing courses out there, but that's not what they need. What they need is to learn to summarise, and express themselves concisely.

Any ideas?

Euphemia Sat 03-Aug-13 17:09:15

Open University?

Hobbes8 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:11:46

I think OU have some kind of returning To study short courses which should include essay writing. That might help.

prism Sun 04-Aug-13 09:27:19

Surely the source of the problem is that they are writing about things they don't understand? I'm sure he OU courses are good, but can't see them helping with that!

Toomuchtea Mon 05-Aug-13 10:01:00

Thanks - I'll point them in the direction of the OU.

Prism, their understanding is generally not the problem. I think it's a habit they've got into: they know I'll sort it out, and so that lessens the need for them to do it. Of course it then costs the organisation more, and in the great name of CPD, they really should learn some sort of process which works for them because Nanny Toomuchtea might not be available in their next job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now