TFL gone all adjective

(12 Posts)
prism Tue 16-Jul-13 14:00:31

There's a poster on buses and things in London currently saying "Cyclists, ride central in narrow streets". (Odd that the comma survived at the hands of whoever wrote that)

I am waiting to see what happens when Boris finds out...

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Tue 16-Jul-13 20:56:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TallulahBetty Tue 16-Jul-13 21:45:42

I read it that way too, Angus.

I think what is upsetting prism and me is the use of the adjective 'central' where the adverb 'centrally' should be employed.

500internalerror Tue 16-Jul-13 22:23:51

There's another example too, which I saw last week - but now can't remember for the life of me! But it's in keeping with this one. And Very Annoying.

I too have noticed the disappearance of the adverb.

It started with "I'm good", in place of: "I'm well".

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Tue 16-Jul-13 22:26:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I don't want to be pedantic here (!) but an injunction to 'ride centrally' would, to me, seem to be saying 'don't lean over to one side'. I would prefer something along the lines of 'Cyclists, use the middle of narrow streets' grin

Pseudonym99 Thu 25-Jul-13 00:25:50

www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14798.aspx

Here is the collection of posters.

amicissimma Tue 13-Aug-13 21:23:52

TravelinColour, I'm annoying myself with the I'm good/I'm well thing.

I used to get antsy about 'I'm good', but now I'm wondering if 'good' is correct when describing 'I', and 'well' should be used to describe 'am'. So both are correct.

I'm not sure. What do other people think?

prism Thu 15-Aug-13 13:04:29

The thing that bothers me about "I'm good" is that it's rather presumptuous. Being "good" has a distinguished pedigree, and if you say you're good, you're putting yourself up with The Good Samaritan, The Good Person of Szechuan, A Good American, etc, while religious literature is packed with the accounts of people who tried all their lives to be Good and reckoned they failed.

I can't say I have anything against it for pedantic reasons; I just bemoan a society where people can be good simply by saying they are.

JessieMcJessie Tue 03-Sep-13 18:21:21

more to the point, the person who asked, " how are you? " was enquiring after your current state, not your character!

as to the poster that started this, i can't for the life of me think why they didn't say " in the centre of".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now