Help my DD's are becoming American.

(10 Posts)
MissMarplesBloomers Sat 22-Jun-13 00:10:54

Aargh typos rather than grammatical errors grin

Note to self ....proof read SLOWLY before posting in P.Corner!!

somebloke123 Fri 21-Jun-13 15:13:56

I don't mind "you're welcome". What I can't stand is "no problem". I'm always tempted to reply "My dear chap, I hadn't anticipated a problem".

Also hate "no worries".

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 21-Jun-13 14:12:36

"Gotten" is correct in American English and is not slang. It is an earlier form brought with the colonists that remained in usage in the US but that dropped out of British English, although it is used some in Scotland, I believe.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Jun-13 14:11:02

DDs does not need an apostrophe. Neither does says <helpful>

wink

If you are going to post in pedants' corner you really need to make sure that your own grammar is squeaky clean!

Buuuut, I do know what you mean; my children say butt and ass all the time, and I have to correct them:

DD: My ass is sore.
Me: It's not ass, it's arse.
DD: My arse is sore.
Me: Stop saying arse, it's rude!
DD: hmm

grin

timidviper Fri 21-Jun-13 14:08:55

Myy DD has become Australian. She goes up at the end of every sentence? Like everything is a question? Drives me mad.

fishandmonkey Fri 21-Jun-13 14:03:41

i think americans usually respond to "thank you" with "sure" or "uh huh" when it's something simple like passing the sugar.
i don't like "gotten" either but i thought it was correct english (not slang), could be wrong though - i'm hardly an expert.

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 21-Jun-13 13:57:36

I will say my pleasure or that's OK in reply to a specific thanks where none is needed but not for everyday courtesy.

The expression "OK" is originally American slang.

MissMarplesBloomers Fri 21-Jun-13 08:47:59

I think it's the CONSTANT use of it even if thanked for passing the sugar that is particularly irritating.

I will say my pleasure or that's OK in reply to a specific thanks where none is needed but not for everyday courtesy.

PseudoBadger Fri 21-Jun-13 08:00:17

Is 'you're welcome' overtly American or simply manners?

MissMarplesBloomers Fri 21-Jun-13 07:59:25

Now I know I will get accused of snobbery but is anyone else getting stabby at the increased use of US slang and speech in every day language?

DD1 say's "Hey" when she greets me and "you're welcome" to every thank you she gets.

DD2 is using "gotten" more and more which for some reason particularly grates on me.

If it was an American saying it it wouldn't bother me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now