Can anyone explain the use of 'self'?

(18 Posts)
WestieMamma Mon 19-Aug-13 18:50:49

I can't read this thread as it's making me twitch.

PoppyAmex Sun 11-Aug-13 18:36:24

"I work in HR and they call all the time trying to sell me candidates and they are the WORSE culprits for this."

Shouldn't they be the "WORST"?

AlyssB Sun 11-Aug-13 18:34:30

Recruitment Agencies. I work in HR and they call all the time trying to sell me candidates and they are the WORSE culprits for this. It makes me very cross!

campion Thu 01-Aug-13 01:41:08

It's because lots of people don't know when to use 'I' and 'me' in a sentence, so overcompensate.

I feel your pain too, Jessie.I regularly am confronted with notices telling me to 'speak to Mildred or I' or 'have a word with myself' ... and I'm a teacher!shock

imademarion Fri 12-Jul-13 17:54:06

DS3's Y1 teacher did it all the time. He's lucky I didn't punch himself.

I feel your pain.

I took my kids out to supper last night and was asked, "so, what can I get for yourselves?"

And later, "if there's anything else, just ask myself."

Theirselves didn't care as they were snarfing bread, ourselves did a little look between us.

JessieMcJessie Fri 12-Jul-13 17:48:55

Miranda. It is NOT the way we all speak in Scotland!

I live in a former British colony where it is not uncommon to see a letter beginning "Further to our conversation with your good selves". " Good" does not make it any better smile.

I once agonised over choosing a financial advisor. Wrote to the one I picked and his email came back "I am very pleased that you have decided to transfer your business to myself". I was a hair's breadth from firing him instantly.

It's hyper correction by people who were taught not to say " me and John went to the shop". They get all scared of "me" . As they bloody should be, if I get a hold of them wink

caroldecker Sun 07-Jul-13 02:10:16

the first three of these all expalin when it is appropriate

Butterflywgs Sun 07-Jul-13 01:56:58

THANK YOU! I can't stand this.

mercury7 Sun 07-Jul-13 01:44:08

I find it irritating, I think people do it to sound sophisticated, to me it sounds over elaborate and pompous

cornypedicure Tue 21-May-13 23:27:29

I haven't noticed the 'self' business but I hate it when people use
'x and I' in an informal conversation.
Half the time it's used incorrectly anyway.

tethersend Tue 21-May-13 23:23:59

Haha, it's Terry Wogan grin

Minimammoth Tue 21-May-13 22:44:12

That'll be a guiness for yourself then Tether.

tethersend Tue 21-May-13 22:25:58

YY, it's people trying to sound grandiose and official, but actually sounding like they're old men in a pub in rural Ireland. In the fifties.

I hate it when people do this. It's as if they're trying to sound more 'official' or professional or something, but it has the opposite effect.

DS3's Y1 teacher did it all the time. He's lucky I didn't punch himself.

Minimammoth Tue 21-May-13 22:10:28

I would like to thank yourselves for replying to myself. < I am doing this as therapy..wise nodding>

tethersend Tue 21-May-13 21:58:02

God, it's bloody everywhere.

I work for social services, and my inbox is drowning in selves.

This drives me nuts too. Insurance companies and the like, they must think it sounds posh, or that saying 'you' is too personal maybe. I did once find myself (oo er!) correcting someone who had got her knickers in a twist by saying that herself was going to send a form to myself, so I said 'Send it to MEEEEE' but am sure that she just thought I was a loon.

I've had some recent dealings with a company in Scotland and I get the impression that it's just part of the way they speak rather than a recent affectation.

Minimammoth Fri 17-May-13 19:28:19

Why don't people simply use you or me anymore? It is always yourself , or 'send it back to myself' ...er is yourself different in someway to you. A kind of elf that works on your behalf perhaps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now