My very first pedantic thread!

(6 Posts)
bedmonster Thu 07-Mar-13 01:11:53

Watching Question of Sport earlier with DP (I know, I know!), when I noticed something so incredibly annoying I felt like exploding!
The team captains names were spelt like the following...
Bill BEaumont
Phil TufnEll

I nearly burst I was so irritated - do you think I could email someone to explain why the e was in capitals when none of the others were?

Is this what Pedants corner is all about? I've never really ventured over here, not being much of a spelling or grammar queen, but I was so wound up that DP called me a pedant, and I instantly knew where to come with my irrational problem!

Euphemia Sat 09-Mar-13 17:18:05

I never watch that shit, so I have no idea. Is it an in-joke? Do the letters stand for something?

bedmonster Sat 09-Mar-13 21:29:53

Not my cup of tea either, but sportaholic DP was watching and laughing hmm and I was just 'glancing' and it wound me up so much! Had completely forgotten about it until I saw this come back up in TIO and it has totally reinstated my rage!
It's not an in-joke - it's not bloody funny. They don't stand for anything. Well, not except for E(fucking)diots. grin

Scottishtanguera Thu 14-Mar-13 13:35:18

I can sympathise, OP. When I see this written it drives me nuts, my sister is a big culprit,eg, "HappY BirThdAy, loTs oF love",etc on birthday cards - hurts the eyes, doesn't it...?

cumfy Thu 14-Mar-13 17:36:44

Es were in short supply.

XBenedict Thu 14-Mar-13 17:40:34

I was reading my DD a Beatrix Potter story a couple of nights ago and it was littered with capital letters within words - very irritating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now