How do you pronounce...?

(7 Posts)
armagh Tue 12-Mar-13 18:09:48

Clancy is an Irish surname. What nationality is Docwra?

bequiasweet Fri 01-Mar-13 16:07:26

And now you know! Thanks for the swift response, Clancy Docwra people!

Hi Bequiasweet

Thank you for your email. The second part of the name ‘Docwra’, the w is silent. Below is an explanation of how the name materialised :-

Founder Michael Clancy formed M.J.Clancy & Sons Limited in 1958. Originally based in Wembley, the company undertook ground works, drainage and road works in and around London. Over the following fifteen years the business grew and expanded into tunnelling and associated works. A significant development within 1974 was the acquisition of R.E.Docwra Limited, a Public Works Contractor based in North London who operated in the water and gas markets.

April 2001 saw a major restructuring of the business. The original subsidiaries M.J.Clancy, R.E.Docwra, Rees and Westwick were replaced with a single operating company - Clancy Docwra Limited.

Today, the company is still a family business and the joint chairman are Kevin and Dermot Clancy, sons of the late Michael Clancy who originally formed the company back in 1959. The Company R.E. Docwra Limited was owned by a Mr. Docwra.

We hope the above answers your query.

I've always assumed it was from two names - probably a Mr Clancy and a Mr Docwra - and would guess the w was silent.

bequiasweet Fri 01-Mar-13 12:30:31

I am emailing them to check! Doesn't really roll off the tongue does it.

seeker Fri 01-Mar-13 12:25:22

Clancy Dockra

piratecat Fri 01-Mar-13 12:22:30

some sort of company on googling!?

here

LexyMa Fri 01-Mar-13 12:19:26

Clancydocwra?

I see these vans all over the place and it winds me up that I have no idea how to say it. Is it Welsh? Is it actually two words? Three? What does it mean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now