Sainsburys' horrible grammatical error

(45 Posts)
GreatBallsofFluff Fri 08-Feb-13 18:51:32

I have never posted in Pedants' Corner (and I am shitting myself that my post will contain many errors and I will be jumped on) but could not believe that this sign was on every till in my local Sainsburys:
"Your helping the environment".
It was a label about using re-useable bags. I mentioned it in a jokey way to the checkout assistant and she looked at me like I was crazy. I would not have been able to leave the shop without saying anything at all. I just can't believe that with the amount of people who work there, no one would have pointed it out confused

Really?? Maybe I completely made it up then. I'm sure I remember reading about it on here.
Apologies

Feenie Sat 09-Feb-13 10:55:20

In the new Biddulph store in Staffs, they have metre high letters on the wall spelling CHILDRENS' in the clothes section.

I was shocked - and took a photo for our classroom apostrophe howlers display, which is always rammed. grin

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 10:59:09

it's not as bad as the "<insert number of> tones of strawberries" that was on their poster not only a whole summer, but the next summer too!

and i pointed it out to a manager at the beginning of the first summer

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 11:00:03

it's still sainsbury's

mainly because the shop is J Sainbury on the sign.
it's us that calls it Sainsbury's.

tubsywubsy Sat 09-Feb-13 11:06:28

Actually, edam, our branch of Waitrose put up a sign a while ago directing customers to the "Stationary" section. I think that quite a number of customers quickly put them right!

I wonder what I have read then...

TricksyLaBOOshh Sat 09-Feb-13 11:15:38

I could well be wrong here, but when I was in Sainsbos this week they were running a 3 for 2 in the fruit and veg aisle. I'm sure that all the varieties included in this deal had stickers with the word 'stickerd' emblazoned on them.
Was I dreaming? Is this a real word?

LeeCoakley Sat 09-Feb-13 11:22:36

Tubsy, 'Stationary' was right, it's a new John Lewis innovation. It's a designated area where you stand motionless trying to remember what you came in for. It's saves you coming to a halt in the aisles and causing a trolley pile-up.

grin that's brilliant
Do they also direct the people who have bumped into their neighbours and want to have an in depth conversation, holding their trolleys diagonally across the aisle?

33goingon64 Sat 09-Feb-13 19:48:10

Jessie, I was making a joke - I thought that was obvious but apologies if I caused offence, OP. Just playing up to your wonderful self-deprecating attitude which not enough people on MN have.

GreatBallsofFluff Sat 09-Feb-13 19:55:19

No offence taken at all 33. It's always difficult to understand a person's meaning through the written word smile

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Sun 10-Feb-13 12:20:23

Sadly, it's very hard to convey a joking tone on MN. And also sadly, there are many posters who are very quick to point out inaccuracies in an OP. If in doubt, i use the the wink emoticon, otherwise people are inclined to think I'm being unneedlessly bitchy.

HTH wink

nickelbabe Sun 10-Feb-13 12:54:57

I think it's fair game if you're on pedants' corner and your op says that you're worried about how well you typed ;)

nickelbabe Sun 10-Feb-13 12:55:17

oh sod.
I meant wink

We could give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are using the gerund form with a possessive adjective, but I suspect it's just a mistake smile

<dreams of a world where supermarkets use gerunds and semicolons in their marketing>

GrimmaTheNome Sun 10-Feb-13 19:48:14

The only problem with writing and complaining about this sign is that if they then feel obliged to replace all those signs, that won't be helping the environment

Orianne Sun 24-Mar-13 12:17:38

Mme Lindor - Thank you. I thought I was going mad as that sounded perfectly okay to me but its to do with my 'birth place' not my stupidity. blush

NinaNannar Sun 24-Mar-13 12:18:39

lol at grammer police.
its like LTB

clam Sun 24-Mar-13 12:59:10

Serves me right for reading the DM online this morning but I noticed in the sad article on Bernie Nolan reference to "heart-rendering."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now