What's the difference between an aisle and an isle?

(16 Posts)
badtime Fri 18-Jan-13 12:05:32

Steppemum, bring and take are indeed different, but the usage is different in different dialects.

In Hiberno-English (from Wikipedia, sorry):

"Bring and take: Irish use of these words differs from that of British English because it follows the Gaelic grammar for beir and tóg. English usage is determined by direction; person determines Irish usage. So, in English, one takes "from here to there", and brings it "to here from there". In Irish, a person takes only when accepting a transfer of possession of the object from someone else – and a person brings at all other times, irrespective of direction (to or from).

Don't forget to bring your umbrella with you when you leave.
(To a child) Hold my hand: I don't want someone to take you."

I often find myself bringing things when an English person would take them. (and in these situations, the past tense is often brung, not brought!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English#Grammar_and_syntax

There's a large sign outside a local school for its Toy Library inviting you to "come and lend some exciting toys today".

Sigh.

steppemum Sun 13-Jan-13 23:55:27

bring and take

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!!!!

(feel better now, rant over)

PootlePosyPerkin Sun 13-Jan-13 23:53:44

And god yes, 2kidsintow. "Can I lend some money" is quite a common phrase round these parts. One friend in particular, looks very confused when I reply "yes please" grin.

PootlePosyPerkin Sun 13-Jan-13 23:51:31

What is r..isle..ing you Chaos? grin Or, r..aisle..ing you obviously grin.

Yup.

I'm "good".

[wikn]

Serious;y, NO.

IamtheZombie Sun 13-Jan-13 23:44:33

You OK, Chaos?

MirandaWest Sun 13-Jan-13 23:39:55

I was marking exams recently where an answer involved an aisle. There were many isles involved in the answers I marked.

2kidsintow Sun 13-Jan-13 23:36:55

lol....

I'm personally annoyed (slightly) by the number of my friends etc that don't know the difference between

borrow/lend
less/fewer
specific/pacific

toomuch2young Sun 13-Jan-13 23:31:41

Slow typing! And confused by question now!!

toomuch2young Sun 13-Jan-13 23:30:07

Isn't one like a supermarket aisle? Or walking up the church aisle?

Wheras isle is like an island?

<<eyeroll>>

Yus, I know.

wink

SminkoPinko Sun 13-Jan-13 23:29:56

confused Are you seriously asking? Or is this a common error that's annoying you?

AnyaKnowIt Sun 13-Jan-13 23:29:27

an aisle is what you get in shops and isle is an island

EverythingInMjiniature Sun 13-Jan-13 23:29:16

Aisle in a church, isle surrounded by water

Huh?

Huh?

Hhu?

angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now