"Excited for" rather than "excited about" - a new evil!

(5 Posts)
AgathaTrunchbull Thu 10-Jan-13 19:09:00

Ohelpohnoitsa I do, actually, although it's only homework, not exam papers! I've also started to refuse to mark anything where capital letters aren't used (correctly). Only at A-Level, mind! Haven't heard the 'why' instead 'what' yet!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 08-Jan-13 20:22:33

A lot of youngsters around here have started saying "why...... for", as in "why have you done that for". That annoys me. Not as much as marking hundreds of exam papers where A Level students repeatedly write "This business COULD OF borrowed money from....." could of, should of, would of...... I HATE IT. IT MAKES ME WISH I COULD TAKE MARKS OFF.

Same as 'named for' which Anne Robinson used to use on that awful quiz programme.

And my new computer has just put a red line under 'programme'. AAAAARGH!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 05-Jan-13 22:20:47

I haven't heard that one yet but agree, it doesn't work. You are right.

AgathaTrunchbull Sat 05-Jan-13 21:13:12

Actually, it may not be new - may be that I've only just become aware of people using it in the last couple of days.

E.g. "I'm excited for Christmas". Being excited for someone, i.e. on someone else's behalf, still perfectly acceptable, of course.

Is it American? It's pretty ugly usage, no? Reminds me of the horror that is 'waiting on' rather than 'waiting for'. Prepositions being abused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now