High Street grammar wall of shame

(17 Posts)
NannyEggn0gg Tue 18-Dec-12 09:01:05

Usually 'vowel +y' add an 's' (Donkey, donkeys)
No vowel, change to ie+s (brolly, brollies)

According to Oxford English Dictionary both trolleys and trollies is correct.

I'm also not quite sure of the rule. Any grammar experts able to help?

MERLYPUSS Mon 17-Dec-12 23:05:55

I thought Trolleys. (But I am as thick as shit)

lidlqueen Mon 17-Dec-12 22:56:38

I think trolleys not trollies surely?

lidlqueen Mon 17-Dec-12 22:55:37

trollies or trolleys = good question Merly....

lidlqueen Mon 17-Dec-12 22:54:58

oh merry I did that once, after Marksexpensive changed the signs back to 'fewer' after being 'less' I was saying how good that was - the checkout person looked at me as though I was slightly deranged.......

MERLYPUSS Mon 17-Dec-12 22:51:11

Morrisons has a park for its trollies. That isn't right is it? (I'm crap at this grammar stuff so please help me out)

PigeonPie Sat 15-Dec-12 19:21:20

In Blackwell's window (you know, the well-known bookshop in Oxford) at the beginning of this Michaelmas term, was a sign informing us that they sold stationary inside. I photographed it meaning to complain but ran out of time.

NannyEggn0gg Sat 15-Dec-12 01:07:45

I assumed Sainsbury's Supermarkets.

FlourFace Sat 15-Dec-12 00:51:51

'Sainsbury's' - I thought that was as in, belonging to the Sainsbury family.

NannyEggn0gg Sat 15-Dec-12 00:47:28

A Tesco managed DVDs and DVD's in the same shop.

SnowWoman Wed 12-Dec-12 20:45:14

Waterstones (I think they have given up on the apostrophe these days) in Glasgow had a bay of shelves labelled "Independant" in the graphic novels area.

YokoUhOh Wed 12-Dec-12 20:41:17

Dunelm are atrocious; I snapped a triple whammy on a sign the other day:

Address Book's
Diary's
Calenders

<facepalms>

merryng Wed 12-Dec-12 20:39:15

Managed to totally bemuse customer service lady in Sainsburys when, whilst having a bad day, I decided to complain about the '5 items or less' sign. Sigh.

prism Wed 12-Dec-12 20:35:51

As an enthusiastic pedant I was truly dismayed when it changed from "J Sainsbury" to "Sainsbury's". Sainsbury's what, exactly? Why not "Sainsburys"? Might as well be a collection of them as an orphaned possessive noun. Not to mention "Tesco's"- damn, there I go mentioning it anyway. What next, "Ikea's"?

Sainsbury's, who manage to put the apostrophe in their name but fail to manage to do so for the Women's or Men's changing room signage.

I'm not talking about market stalls here or greengrocers with their tomato's and potato's

I'm talking large businesses with large profits, which seem incapable of running packaging and signage past someone with a basic grasp of grammar.

I will start the ball rolling with Boots - and a sign in the store for "kid's health"

And Tesco - with own brand loo roll proudly proclaiming "same luxury, less lorries"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now