<sob sob> <wimper wimper> <stabby stabby>

(23 Posts)

I didn't have much in the way of grammar lessons at school either. But I read a lot & I think if you're that way inclined you pick it up quite easily.

But then I trained as a proofreader 10 years ago & learned some more stuff! (Like "it's" doesn't have the apostrophe when same as his or hers. Never knew that.)

QuickLookBusy Tue 06-Nov-12 18:42:14

I'm not sure Fluffy, I'm pleased to see they do much more nowadays.

I learn things from my DC!

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Tue 06-Nov-12 18:02:30

argh, some people are just twats.

A man posted immediately after my grammar rant with a spelling mistake - I thought he'd done it on purpose (it was a goood one), so I put "it's can't not "carnt" - he retorted with something else, I then put why I had done it "I have just done a massive post about grammar and spelling then your popped up. It was too good an opportunity to miss wink "

so, he got angry, blocked me and made his wife say nasty bitchy things to me about it. because he's got dyslexia and it annoyed him, because obviously I was making a nasty mean comment directed at him, because i'm such a mean nasty bitch.
apparently.

seriously - I'm not a mean nasty bitch - it really really looked like he'd done it on purpose, I was being a bit norty.
to block me and get all angry about it? really?!
and i'm a twat?!

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Tue 06-Nov-12 17:52:46

QuickLookBusy - I'm in Pedants' Corner!!
I'm allowed to vent here!

I think it's important because it means that those of you who find it hard to read and write (for whatever reason) will find it easier to understand those things that are written correctly.
It's hard enough to understand this stuff without having to work out everyone else's grammar and spelling mistakes!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Nov-12 17:50:36

Thank god for that I thought I was the only one!

Why didnt they teach us? It makes it very hard to learn other languages when you dont know what your own grammar is.

QuickLookBusy Tue 06-Nov-12 17:48:58

Same here Fluffycloud, plus I'm dyslexic.

What's your excuse OP?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Nov-12 17:43:37

I never had any lessons in grammar at school, I dont know pronouns from nouns from verbs.

Somehow I got through university too.

We just never studied it, my older half siblings were taught phonetically and can't spell properly at all, neither can dh who is of similar age to them.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with reading anything like that. Too much like hard work. The thing is, it shows a glimpse into someone's mind, and the mind of the 'trolly' writer is somewhere I wouldn't want to go.

I know some people have difficulty with spelling - my DH and DS do - but some people bother to use a dictionary and make an effort to improve or ask the nearest pedant

Oops! Good thing I'm hiding.

<offers nickelrocket a nice cup of tea>

MaudTheGardenTheBlackBatNight Tue 06-Nov-12 17:37:03

Oops, cross post.

::resigns from grammar police::

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Tue 06-Nov-12 17:36:34

wine
wine
wine
wine
wine
wine

[whine]

MaudTheGardenTheBlackBatNight Tue 06-Nov-12 17:36:03

And what about a choice and bijou capital letter or two, now?

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Tue 06-Nov-12 17:35:26

don't get me started - I can't do capitals because my little finger hurts (pressing the shift key)

i used to be able to touch type, you know!

<<stress>>

then I get random angry comments saying "ooh, they might be dyslexic and using text speak"

no if they are dyslexic , they are mosre likely to take time to make sure that their grammar/spelling is correct, because they know they have difficulties with it!
and bad spelling/grammar is not textspeak, that's an excuse because you can't be arsed to check what you've written!!!

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Tue 06-Nov-12 17:33:28

it is fucking whimper!!!

i'm distraught!!!

distraught i tell you!!!

sadsadsadsadsad

They should of checked it before posting it. grin

detoxdiva Tue 06-Nov-12 17:30:06

This is exactly why I lurk but am usually too scared to post here grin

<<runs away and waits for someone to find a spelling mistake>>

grin

MaudTheGardenTheBlackBatNight Tue 06-Nov-12 17:24:05

I was leaving that for someone else, Greenoes.

Greenoes Tue 06-Nov-12 17:22:38

Capital letters anyone? Anyone?
wink

MaudTheGardenTheBlackBatNight Tue 06-Nov-12 17:21:43

Yes, whimper and English with a capital E.

::hides with Norman::

detoxdiva Tue 06-Nov-12 17:20:45

grin

I think it's whimper.... <runs and hides>

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Tue 06-Nov-12 17:18:40

aaaarrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

why can't people spell or use apostrophes or grammar?!!!

not text speak - just baaaaad lazy english!!!

and all on a gossip forum, where they bollock a woman for complaining about lack of safety harnesses in a supermarket trolley - apparently it's her fault for being a bad parent. But at the same time, it takes me three times longer than necessary to read the posts because they're all written sooooooooooooooo badly!!

can you guess what "parce the parcle" is?
or what
" i do understand all of this but its not there problem if your child wont sit still would you complain if they got a rope and tied your child to the trolly i do think there should be a harness for the children but as i no theres not i do not take my youngest there while i shop you say a child can break there neck while standing on the seat and falling but you have clearly taken a picture of your child standing on the seat surly you have placed your own child at risk to prove a point most of us already new... i have also complained but i have to ensure that my child is safe first its not entirly up to them."

is supposed to say?

they've never heard of full stops!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now