Anyone else find subtitles can be distracting?

(8 Posts)
confuddledDOTcom Fri 02-Nov-12 21:20:47

Watching Apocalypse and they're really struggling with the Scottish accent! It's quite comical really!

confuddledDOTcom Sun 28-Oct-12 11:39:12

I remember someone complaining to Points of View that Helensburgh had been subtitled Helen's bra.

Some days I get so irritated that I have to turn them off. The One Show seems to be bad for it. Then they spend so long trying to repair the damage that they cut out a section of speech. I'm often trying to figure out what someone said but can't because they cut them out.

If you're ever in the mood for a laugh, stick the subtitles on during the news and see what they come up with. I wish they'd all do what 5 do and pre-record them.

trikken Sun 28-Oct-12 10:59:03

I love them. i dont know why.

PseudoBadger Sun 28-Oct-12 10:01:40

Pigs eat willies I was lucky enough to see this one live on screen grin

The attempts at spelling 'Machynlleth' during that recent tragedy with that poor little girl who was kidnapped were fascinating (as are most subtitles when anything that's not plain English is involved).

RustyScare Sun 28-Oct-12 09:45:18

I love seeing the attempts at live subtitles - my favourite was Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall, which came out as 'Cue the family wedding stall!'

Yes - pubs often have the TV on silent and if it's BBC or Sky news there's live subtitles with howlers every few words. They irk me so much I can't concentrate on anything else. It's like a car crash, I tell you.

confuddledDOTcom Sun 28-Oct-12 01:26:31

I can't follow a programme for long enough if I have them off (I'm hard of hearing rather than deaf deaf) but sometimes the mistakes on them are so distracting I'm not sure what's worse!

A recent one, BBC Breakfast:

"Do you know you're double negatives from your split infinitives?"

Sort of let that off as it's live, but still distracting!

One of my pet peeves (MN seems bad for it) on one programme recently, not live so no excuse IMO "antinatal"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now