How to remember lose/ loose?

(8 Posts)
Wigeon Thu 25-Oct-12 12:28:48

Great! I am now 100% confirmed pedant and can merrily judge others when they misuse loose and lose!

Thank you all. grin

iseenodust Thu 25-Oct-12 10:56:13

There's a moose loose about this house - Scots accent req!

CatWithKittens Thu 25-Oct-12 10:50:34

If you loose your goose you will lose it.

Loosing is a real word, but not one you will ever use.

The verb loose means "let loose, untie" as in loosing arrows or loosing livestock. You might loose your goose grin

I also remember that lose has the same beginning as lost.

poppyknot Wed 24-Oct-12 21:41:14

Thanks to both of you. The Goose / Loose thing is brillinatly simple Greyt!

Wigeon Wed 24-Oct-12 21:37:12

Ah ha! That's a good tip.

So

loose - not tight
lose - can't find it

losing - I'm losing my marbles
loosing - made-up word.

Right?

Greythorne Wed 24-Oct-12 19:48:44

It's easy. Just think how you spell "goose". Now, that's a word you can't imagine getting wrong, I'm sure. Now, goose rhymes with loose. They sound the same and are spelt the same.

Voilà.

Wigeon Wed 24-Oct-12 19:45:41

I am usually super-good at being a pedant - I always use apostrophes correctly, I never confuse your and you're, I can spell necessary, committee and so on, I know the difference between a counsellor and councillor or advice and advise, I never split my infinitives...but I have a big mental block when it comes to lose / loose type words. Especially "loosing" or "losing".

So lose - you can't find it
Loose - it isn't tight

but is it then

losing - I am losing my memory
loosing - word doesn't exist?

Help! How to remember?! There must be a little saying for it, like "i before e except after c". Any tips gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now