"Clearly"

(11 Posts)
prism Tue 25-Sep-12 13:39:23

Is it my imagination or does the whole world now think that no sentence is complete without this word?

Especially politicians, in whose case very little is ever clear.

WilsonFrickett Tue 25-Sep-12 19:17:13

It's the 'to be honest' of our times. And as 'to be honest' never denotes honesty, 'clearly' never denotes clarity. Clearly.

somebloke123 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:23:21

I remember Peter Mandelson being asked a question once in an interview (I can't remember what) and he started his reply with, "Since I am no longer in office I can give you an honest answer".

ByTheWay1 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:29:57

At least we seem to have moved on a bit from "at this moment in time" ....argghhhhhhh.

Going forward, let's hope people stop using it.

<shoots self>

JessieMcJessie Tue 30-Oct-12 19:05:16

I find that a lot of people are also over- using "obviously" for things that are not at all obvious, makes me feel like a fool even though they are using it as mindless punctuation.

EvilTwins Tue 30-Oct-12 19:06:36

"Obviously" and "literally" annoy me just as much.

seeker Tue 30-Oct-12 19:08:08

My dd uses "Clearly" as a put down. It is incredibly effective!

'Obviously' seems to be compulsory in all interviews with all footballers after a match. We have great fun counting them.
<<don't get out much>>

vintageviolets Thu 01-Nov-12 16:56:47

It was "super epic, clearly"

Arggggghhhhh

Nancy66 Sun 04-Nov-12 19:17:04

David Cameron uses 'let me be clear' all the time which is a bit daft because it's usually followed by a load of waffly bollocks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now