New apostrophe blunder

(41 Posts)
prism Sun 15-Apr-12 15:31:34

Just saw this in a job advert: "My client who are part of one of the largest communication groups' in the world".

Never seen this before- maybe they think that saying "group's" is in actually wrong, but think they just have to get that apostrophe in for some reason? They go on to make the usual mistakes with "incentive's", etc later on, so they're obviously genuinely illiterate, and not just mistyping.

Where will it all end? sad

cattj Sun 28-Oct-12 01:08:44

The Thick of It Series 4 Episode 5 at 09m:21s; apostrophes!

My favourite is when a business has paid for a neon sign which sports an unnecessary apostrophe. Grammar saves money, people!

somebloke123 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:26:00

I once saw a notice in a pub entrance:

"First floor - birthday party for Gary Mill's"

Altogether now: 'Birthday party for Gary Mill's what? Hamster?'

apostropheuse Tue 30-Oct-12 22:07:35

* How hard is it to remember that plurals don't have apostrophes? *

Actually plurals can have apostrophes...

The boys' toilets
The teachers' staff room

etc.

grin

VivaLeBeaver Sun 04-Nov-12 01:48:28

In the daily mail today; Cambridge women's rower's career ruined. That's wrong isn't it?

Much as I hate to say the Daily Wail has got it right, I think they have in this case. It is the team for the Cambridge women, therefore Cambridge women's [team implied] is correct. No apostrophe (womens) would be a peculiar double-plural and sound like something Popeye would say. The career is (or was) possessed by the rower, therefore rower's career. Was it ruined by immigrants or the EU by any chance?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 04-Nov-12 04:22:33

Is it? Must admit I'm not 100% but I thought if two nouns posess the same thing only the second takes an apostrophe.

No immigrants I don't think involved in this story. I'm sure the paper's disappointed the driver was Polish!

One noun possesses the team, the other possesses the career, so each gets an apostrophe.

If it wasn't the immigrants, it was probably the benefits cheats. DISGRACE!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 04-Nov-12 08:35:53

They made up for it with a cracking story about an immigrant ex Hutu Rwandan taxi driver.

permaquandry Sun 04-Nov-12 08:49:57

I had no idea this topic existed. I am just an 'averagely' educated SAHM but I get so angry at the terrible grammar used today.

I sometimes need to double-check my own grammar and punctuation but the overuse of apostrophes, commas and capitals is confused.

I often spot errors in school literature and even found an extra apostrophe in a kipper book!!

Don't get me started on spelling, there is no excuse these days with spell-checker and predictive text.......while we're at it 'your/you're' and 'its/it's'...........angryangryangryangryangry

RustyBear Sun 04-Nov-12 10:01:01

Just got an email from Argos. "Lot's of toys for girls and boys"

MarjorieAntrobus Sun 04-Nov-12 10:14:27

Aaaaaaargh, Rusty! Argos is now right off my list!

Do they not realise that they are alienating a huge bunch of people who will not buy from them if they say, "lot's", when they mean, "lots"?

On eBay, if the spelling or punctuation are wrong, I don't bid any more. Same with newspaper adverts.

I am a grumpy old pedant, and proud to be so.

Frontpaw Sun 04-Nov-12 10:28:03

It drive's me nuts too (see what I done there?). Ha ha! I blame the BBC. Double negatives really annoy me too!

When I was a child, the emphasis was on 'proper English', but tv new is just garble!

PigeonPie Sun 04-Nov-12 11:15:39

Frontpaw - as my Sis said 'Double negatives are a definite no no!'.

Frontpaw Sun 04-Nov-12 11:33:19

Actually, when people say "I don't half.." annoys me too. So do you or don't you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now