"I was sat" is incorrect!

(100 Posts)
forshitsandgiggles Tue 10-Apr-12 02:23:40

Does anyone else want to scream/throw things upon hearing the increasingly common misuse of the past participle? It has become the norm for people to say "he was SAT over there..." when it should be "he was sitting over there" or "we were led down" no, you were "lying down", you daft muppets.

Sorry to rant but I'm sick of hearing this and wonder if it bothers anybody else? I always use a particular example to illustrate this point. You would always say "I was swimming" and not "I was swam", as the latter sounds, frankly, ridiculous.

SardineQueen Tue 10-Apr-12 12:46:19

Although I know f all about parts of speech so can't help with that!

ZZZenAgain Tue 10-Apr-12 12:49:02

I think that is the difference between to set/to sit or to lay/to lie and so on, different verb usually. For the passive though as I said, I would use place/put in the pram I've put her in the pram

ZZZenAgain Tue 10-Apr-12 12:49:51

which is not passive anyway! ha

she was put
I have put her

I don't think it's particularly bad. It's a verb that could be construed in a passive way - not just "I sat him in his high chair" but also in the sense that I was not actively sitting iyswim. It indicates a static-ness that you don't get from "I was sitting".

I'm not sure if I'm capturing this well but I could imagine someone saying eg "I was stood there for hours" like in French you would say "J'etais debout" - it's almost using the verb (stand, stood) as an adjective (debout) so just describes the state of standing rather than the doing of standing.

SardineQueen Tue 10-Apr-12 12:54:41

"I was stood there for hours" would also have my mum recoil in horror!

Those don't bother me so much but going for a lay down is just GRRRRRRRRR grin

SardineQueen Tue 10-Apr-12 12:55:08

Actually I take it back, I read that back "I was stood there for hours" and flinched!

ZZZenAgain Tue 10-Apr-12 12:56:41

I read it a lot on MN but actually it doesn't bother me

SardineQueen Tue 10-Apr-12 12:58:35

I flinched because I wrote it wink

I don't really mind what other people write, but some of DHs expressions annoy me.

Ephiny Tue 10-Apr-12 13:03:53

I'm more baffled than annoyed by this really. To me it seems like something that everyone has started saying in the last few years, I'm sure it's a fairly new thing, and I can't understand why! It's not just people with a poor grasp of English/grammar either, but those who should (and I suspect do) know better.

I think it's an affectation/fashion, not a mistake.

nickelhasababy Tue 10-Apr-12 13:26:37

true true.

i warned dh i would have to correct his speech now we have dd (i used to ignore it).
he's taken to it quite well.
(after i stood next to him as he told me he did something quick and i said "how did you do it?" until he understood and said "quickly".)

nickelhasababy Tue 10-Apr-12 13:27:37

you were laid down if you had been placed onto some surface.
grin

nickelhasababy Tue 10-Apr-12 13:30:27

and to cklarify - he was placed into a highchair.
he can't be sat into a highchair.

you don't put someone in a place, but into

Mrskbpw Tue 10-Apr-12 13:34:48

Yes, yes, yes Ephiny! It is a recent thing. I studied linguistics at uni and remember it being given as an example of Lancashire (?) dialect. Now it's everywhere.

Other recent additions that make me very angry are 'snuck' instead of 'sneaked' and do NOT get me started on people using 'myself' or 'I' when they mean 'me'. JUST SAY ME. It's fine.

FullBeam Tue 10-Apr-12 14:04:38

'Myself' drives me mad too! DH and I are often shouting 'ME, it's ME!' at the television when someone says, 'Pass the coffee to myself,' or some such nonsense.

Maybe we should get out more!

IAmSherlocked Tue 10-Apr-12 14:11:08

The 'I was sat' drives me mad too - it just sounds so uneducated (blush at being such a grammar snob but I can't help it).

And as for the other example in the OP, I do indeed have a friend who says 'I was led on the sofa when...' I am fairly sure that she means she was lying on the sofa when... grin

DaisySteiner Tue 10-Apr-12 14:12:19

I'm with you FullBeam, drives me crazy! Call centre operators are the worst for that IME eg. 'please send a letter to ourselves' angry

IAmSherlocked Tue 10-Apr-12 14:12:30

An Americanism that irritates me when I see it in books, by the way, is 'shined' instead of 'shone' - 'The police officer shined the torch at the criminal.' Has anyone else ever seen that? It makes my teeth itch!

clam Tue 10-Apr-12 14:18:31

daisy I have just this minute finished a telephone call with an insurance broker who said, "if it's OK with yourself, post it back to myself asap."
FGS!

"any beverages for yourselves?"

kipperandtiger Tue 10-Apr-12 15:59:48

I agree with OP!

kipperandtiger Tue 10-Apr-12 16:04:41

But....some of these phrases are derived from dialects (as Mrskbpw points out about Lancashire) and regional translations - eg "I was after telling you" or "I was after going" is a quaint turn of phrase from Irish speakers.....but it really sounds wrong when it's not spoken by locals from those regions.

ZZZenAgain Tue 10-Apr-12 16:22:02

"and to cklarify - he was placed into a highchair.
he can't be sat into a highchair.

you don't put someone in a place, but into"

No. In English verbs of movement can and do use "in". He was placed in a highchair" is correct. Into has the additional meaning of "enter". So for instance, we would say "she walked into the castle/room" but not "she placed Easter eggs into the basket or a child in a pram".

SardineQueen Tue 10-Apr-12 16:50:26

He can be sat in a highchair though, if someone has picked him up and put him there, in a seated position.

ZZZenAgain Tue 10-Apr-12 17:04:30

not sure how you are viewing "sat" in that phrase. As the past participle of a verb of movement?

What I mean is: he was placed or seated in the chair = he was sat in the chair. Is that how you are using it?

ZZZenAgain Tue 10-Apr-12 17:09:59

(in case anyone forgot, past participle is the third form below)
I sit (present)
I sat (past simple)
I had sat (uses past participle) also used to construct the passive (he was placed for instance)

sit on its own is not a verb of movement. I set the vase on the table. (movement)
The vase sits on the table (position)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now