Party food for a 3 year old.

(39 Posts)
Distel Sun 08-May-05 20:05:02

On Saturday We are hopefully having a picnic in our local park for my dds 3rd birthday. I don't really want to do sanwiches as with any luck it might be hot - any nice ideas that arn't too sticky/chocolaty?????????????????

Party is for about 10 friends + adults.

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:06:34

went to a great party today the mum had done party sausages (no sticks btw could take someones eye out)little bowls with carrot sticks, celery and grapes, as wel as the usual sandwiches and cakes.

Distel Sun 08-May-05 20:09:02

How are you feeling today? Better I hope x x

cazzybabs Sun 08-May-05 20:09:09

we did sandwhiches but cut them with biscuit cutters (annabel Karmel) - and everyone commented on them. crisps, fruits (watermelon slices, grapes, strawberries), biscuits, and drinks for the grown-ups. Ohh ice- cream!

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:09:57

yeah much better ta
dh hads got it now.

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:10:52

little sausage rolls

Distel Sun 08-May-05 20:12:22

Love the idea of having ice-cream, any ideas how long it would keep in a freezer bag?

MarsLady Sun 08-May-05 20:12:25

I love party food and now you've made me hungry lol

Distel Sun 08-May-05 20:13:41

Keep the ideas coming, I am making a list

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:16:32

cheese sticks
bread sticks

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:18:46

little fairy cakes not choccy coverd cakes
jammie dodgers
party rings (cant have a party without party rings although couldnt eat them to much food oulouring)

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:28:57

dont forget to ask everyone to bring a teddy for a teddy bears picnic

Distel Sun 08-May-05 20:31:21

Ohhhhh, thats a FAB idea

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:36:51

resealable plastic bags from tesco (the freezer/sandwiche ones) take up far less room that plastic containers and are fine for fruit and veg sticks.

Distel Sun 08-May-05 20:38:49

We were thinking of doing pizza as it is one of those things that is quite nice cold.

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:40:45

good idea but sometimes slices get stuck together, stick a bit of greaseproof paper between em to stop sticking, before you put them in containers.

Distel Sun 08-May-05 20:42:48

you sound like you have experience of this

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:44:56

yep lolol

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:47:34

you could do sandwiches but like soldiers (little sandwich fingers) with one slice brown and one white
sorry Im getting carried away I love doing kids party food lol

Distel Sun 08-May-05 20:49:01

We were worried about sandwhiches drying up a bit if it was hot (fingers crossed)

beansmum Sun 08-May-05 20:49:20

tortilla? the spanish(?) omlettey kind not the mexican kind. quite easy to make and yummy cold.

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:49:33

true

Distel Sun 08-May-05 21:03:24

That souns nice, Do you make it like Omlette but with peppers and sausage in it?

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 21:04:40

I wanna do a party!!!!!!
my dd birthday is on february and Id love to have a picnic for her but far to cold
I think I might just organise one anyway for dds nursery pals

Distel Sun 08-May-05 21:05:49

Thats a nice idea - make it in the holidays when she wont see her friends for a while.

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 21:11:07

good idea will do Distel

giraffeski Sun 08-May-05 21:13:43

Message withdrawn

Distel Sun 08-May-05 21:15:53

That would be great thankyou - as long as they are not to complicated, do they keep well in the fridge?

giraffeski Sun 08-May-05 21:33:09

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Sun 08-May-05 21:34:08

Message withdrawn

HondaDream Mon 09-May-05 07:53:17

What about chicken wings? Or are they too young I forget!
or a nice cold pasta salad you can easily put it in little plastic bowls and give them spoons, or buy 10 cheap sandwich boxes and make up individual lunches and let the kids take the box home instead of a party bag, obviously with some sweeties inside. I went to a party like this once and it was great. The mum had no washing up or plastic/paper waste. Just take a big roll of kitchen paper to wipe out boxes.

Eulalia Mon 09-May-05 09:49:29

dd just had her 3rd party a few weeks ago. I did mini sausages, hula hoops, cubes of cheese, grapes, carrot batons, breadsticks and mini teacakes. I also made a big cake with a lemon icing. Hope you all have a good day.

Freddiecat Mon 09-May-05 09:58:05

Agree with mini quiches. I did them in a mini muffin tin and they went down very well at my son's 3rd birthday party.

Also try this filling.

Slice an onion and fry till very very soft. Ad a tin of toms and some garlic and oregano. Cook till quite thick then fill the pastry cases. Top with black olives or mozzerella

Do mini ones for kids and normal bun tins for adults

beetroot Mon 09-May-05 11:59:46

carrot and apple muffins ala anabel karmel

handlemecarefully Mon 09-May-05 12:01:19

Homemade chicken nuggets - taste good cold.

Make sandwiches more exciting by cutting shapes out of them with cookie cutters. We had diamond, heart, elephant shape sandwiches at ds' party

MrsMiggins Mon 09-May-05 19:21:43

popcorn
smiley faces

nooka Mon 09-May-05 20:43:08

Remember that they won't actually eat very much - I always do too much and have lots over! But for a 3 year old you've probably got parents staying and they might get hungry too

For drinks it's nice to make some fizzy for a treat, and home made lemonade is quite easy to make. Otherwise elderflower cordial is good and doesn't have any additives (you can also make your own) or the bottlegreen company do a very nice rasberry and lovage cordial. You can just add sparkling spring water (although some children don't like fizzy, so good to have some plain too)

highlandmum Wed 11-May-05 13:30:28

At age three I never served any sweeties or fizzy stuff, they get all overexcited and cry or are sick and some parents don't allow sweet food at this age. Grapes, carrots and cucumber sticks, bread sticks, cubes of cheese, cherry tomatoes, hula hoops, quavers, home-popped corn without anything added, stawberries and raspberries and they all go for blueberries. Take plenty to drink, water, squash and fruit juice are fine. If you play a couple of games, have a drink, then let them play/run about while you get stuff set out, you don't need to do much. It's the grown ups who'll need chicken drumsticks etc. I wouldn't go to a huge lot of trouble cooking, since you might end up taking a lot of it back home! Jelly always goes down well at this age. You can do individual ones in plastic cups and carry them in a cardboard box with card between the layers. Sounds good fun, hope you get the weather!

clary Wed 11-May-05 14:56:11

highland mum at some parents not allowing sweet food (at three??) I must be a bad mummy.
At my 2yo party last month we had small soft rolls cut in half (as that’s all they’ll eat!) - easier than sandwiches, about 1 half per child, with ham or jam or cheese spread;
baby sausages
halved grapes, cherry toms, cucumber slices, halved olives (for ds2)
hula hoops and quavers
Nigella’s butter biscuits cut out in 2s (and also 3, 5 and 1 for some of the guests)
fairy cakes with tiger icing (supposed to be an animal theme party)
chocolate crispie cakes because i love em. But agree re the mess. I make them so small they are one mouthful.
high-juice squash to drink, in paper cups with lids and straws to minimise mess.
If it’s summer you might like to add strawberries
Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now