Party games for 5/6 year old girls?

(19 Posts)
Gumdrop Mon 25-Apr-05 09:40:14

I'm sure there have been other threads on this type of thing before and I have tried looking honest, but I can't find them, because I'm rubbish at using search engines.

Please can I ask kind tech type MNers to link to these threads? Alternatively, any suggestions - for outdoorsy, but not too much time on the floor type games?

We've got a pinada, and a pin the tail on the lurid unicorn game (2 to run simultaneously as we have 20 children coming + dds) and (after much deliberation) I finally succumbed(Sp?) to party inadequancy worries and hired a bouncy castle.

Not that I'm stressed about this, but it has been the main topic of conversation in our house since about mid Feb! The trouble is I have too vivid an imagination.........

Small girls wandering away from party clutching brown paper bags with useful string and spare pair knickers as a gift saying "Oh mummy, what a rubbish party that was" etc etc, whilst dd2 (the birthday girl) sobs upstairs in "my life is ruined forever" way.

Hermione1 Mon 25-Apr-05 09:43:23

Treasure hunt?? if you're doing it outside? Dancing compitions?um, i have had partys for around that age, I wouldn't get too worried about it, they seem to amuse themselves anyways. you can have musical chairs, musical bumps, musical statues, pass the parsel. thats all i can think of at the moment, oh simon says? I hope this isn't too young, but just a thought. hope the party goes well.

redshoes Mon 25-Apr-05 20:08:08

I am worrying about this too - dd1 is 5 soon and nothing booked - all so flipping expensive, I hate the pressure to provide the 'best' party. So bump, and anyone done a themed party that worked particularly well? (sorry if hijacking thread...)

debs26 Mon 25-Apr-05 20:10:12
cod Mon 25-Apr-05 20:13:00

Message withdrawn

cod Mon 25-Apr-05 20:13:34

Message withdrawn

cod Mon 25-Apr-05 20:14:34

Message withdrawn

JanH Mon 25-Apr-05 20:19:28

Ohhhh, gumdrop, lol at your lurid imagination! Most kids love most parties, honestly.

We had a party for c 20 when DS2 was 6, mostly boys, some girls - about 2 hours I think (6 years ago now...). We played lots of musical games (bumps, statues etc), quite a few dead lions (quietens things down) and some pass the parcels. (One child actually fell asleep during dead lions, woke up confused and had to be led upstairs and pacified!)

The first 10-15 mins was taken up with letting them in and sorting out; games took maybe 45 mins; they ate tea as a picnic off paper tablecloths on the floor; the cake included magic relighting candles so blowing those out (be prepared for lots of spit on your lovely cake) took another 15 mins or so; and we ended up with A Suitable Video (something episodic so they didn't mind going home) while the cake was distributed amongst party bags.

With your bouncy castle as well you should have a wonderful party. HTH

KatieMac Mon 25-Apr-05 20:45:28

Beanz, you know baked bean,french bean, runner bean etc
Obsticle course
Decorating fairly cakes/ice cream sundaes

Fennel Tue 26-Apr-05 09:00:03

we recently had 20 kids to a 5 year old party. half played games inside and half rampaged in the garden.

games we played included:
what's the time Mr Wolf (they love that)
Simon says
Hide and seek
pass the parcel
musical bumps
musical statues
sleeping lions (sleeping statues if standing up in damp garden)
hunt the chocolate egg (in the garden)

Gumdrop Tue 26-Apr-05 10:07:32

Hooray, is it a bird, is it a plane, no its SuperMN (groan, I know!)

Thank you very much for the suggestions and links - they are very much appreciated!

Now all I need to arrange is the very large cold G&T as a reward for me at the end of it all!

HondaDream Tue 26-Apr-05 10:43:49

Got some great games.
The tasting game. Get lots of weird things in different egg cups...lemon juice, ketchup, curry powder, pepper, sugar etc . Blind fold one child give them a small taste and see if they can guess what it is (have a glass of water handy for the more disgusting ones)
The pan game. Get three pans and put them upside down one has an object under it, blindfold a kid, give them a wooden spoon and they have to bash the pans and guess which one has something under it.
Chocolate dressing up game. Get a plate with a bar of chocolate and a knife and fork, collect some clothing, big wellies, scarf , hat gloves (all adult size) jacket, sunglasses It is a race; the one with the chocolate has to try to cut off and eat as much as they can before the other kid manages to put all the clothes on.
I have done pinyatas ( think thats how it is spelt)
Treasure hunts
spagetti game. Get kids in pairs facing eac other and give each pair a long piece of spagetti licorish each child takes one end intheir mouths and hands behind their backs. Whenthe music starts they have to eat it. First pair to finish is the winner.

My DD2 ( also 5) is having a Snow White fancy dress princess party in 2weeks we will make crowns and wands. All the food will be pink and sparkly. I have bought little fairies which I will hide around garden. We will play bob the apple and I have got a pin the nose on the wicked step mother.

Hope this helps/insires and yes I willbe rewarding myself with a big G and T at the end of it all too.

fionagib Tue 26-Apr-05 12:30:17

Last year when my dd was 4 we played egyptian mummy. I bought a load of cheap white loo rolls, divided the kids into teams, and they had a pile of loo roll with which to banadge up one member of their team as quickly as poss - when the time was up, the team with the best wrapped mummy won.

We also put all all their pop up tents, tunnels etc in the garden. The kids all danced around until I yelled IN THE TENT! - eveyone had to rush into a tent/tunnel and the last one to get inside was out. Maybe you could borrow friends' play tents? (we just seem to have ammassed a few over the years!)

A treasure hunt (gold coins etc) is a nice way to get the party started.

fionagib Tue 26-Apr-05 12:32:00

ps - like KatieMac we decorated fairy cakes this year - I white-iced a load of (bought) cakes and set out bowls of jelly benas, jelly diamonds, sprinkles, silver cake balls, strawberries etc and everyone made their own cake - took up quite a bit of time & calmed them all down a bit (till they ate all those sweets!)

redshoes Tue 26-Apr-05 21:25:47

HondaDream you party sounds fab. What food is pink and sparkly??

clary Wed 27-Apr-05 00:15:29

fiona that tent game is a fab idea! Must try it.
I know what you mean about amassing pop-ups - we have two tents, one shop, one long and one short tunnel. (the shop is the very devil to put away tho - a job for mummy only after daddy wrestles furiously for half an hour amid much cursing )

Iklboo Wed 27-Apr-05 10:54:57

Hi. I was at a party for a 6yr old on Saturday and they played all the usuals - pass the parcel, musical statues, pin the tail etc and all really enjoyed them. Especially pass the parcel as the mum had put a little treat in EVERY layer of paper (choc coin, lollipop etc) so everyone got something (girl doing the music 'manipulated' it so that everyone got to take off a layer too)

Tracy

HondaDream Thu 28-Apr-05 16:16:11

Pink and sparkly food.

I am famous amongst my friends for my bright pink icing and totally OTT cakes. I cover a basic sponge in pink icing, around the edge I stick white chocolate fingers I then deorate the top with silver balls and as a grand finalee I add pink feathers and sparklers. It looks pretty and pink and my dd's love it.

Fairy bread. Spread butter or marg on white sliced bread and then sprinkle on hundreds and thousands cut into shapes using biscuit cutters (hearts is always a good one)

Pink pasta. Just add a little red food colouring to pasta.

Pink drinks..easy peasy

Ice cream sundaes. strawberry icecream, sprinkles, sparklers...

Fairy cakes but as has been said I let the kids decorate these.

I also put out any pink sweeties I have bought, marshmellows etc.

There is not much nutrition in my parties but its only a few times and year and its happy memories for a life time, knowing your mum really went to all that trouble just for a few hours and half a dozen of your friends, although I am sure my dd's will not really appreciate it until they are up until midnight before their own kids party trying to build a snow whites castle cake or mould a square cake into a rabbit with two floppy ears or reproduce Tracy Island with Thunderbirds 1, 2 3 and 4 ( I have a DS too).

Enid Thu 28-Apr-05 16:41:08

I do a basic viccy sponge, cover it in pink icing then press jelly beans and dolly mixtures all over it for an amazing sweety cake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now