December Birthday Party

(12 Posts)
SillyBilly18 Sat 17-Sep-16 16:26:30

Hi all

Just looking for some opinions really. My DS' birthday is on 18th December & we are wanting to book a soft play party & invite his nursery friends but I'm concerned that the 18th is too close to Christmas & if we were to hold a party on his actual birthday that nobody would attend.

Would you consider this too close to Christmas if your child was invited to a party on this date, or do you think holding it the weekend before (10th) would be better?

Thanks smile

Groovee Sat 17-Sep-16 16:27:56

I was born on the 17th and no one used to come but I always made sure we went if we could.

GoldenWorld Sat 17-Sep-16 16:29:55

One of my relative's is born around the 18th too, they've held parties on the actual day and kids always go. I think it's fine.

MarriedinMaui Sat 17-Sep-16 16:31:54

My DS is that day and i usually do it a week or two before. I think by 19th people want to do family stuff. He has never cared about his party being on his actual birthday, and it often means we also do a nice family outing on his actual birthday too (cinema or bowling or something).

Another friend of mine whose daughter has a similar birthday throws her a party in January.

Greypuddle Sat 17-Sep-16 16:32:33

Hmm. My DS's birthday is the 18th December too. I just assume everyone's in the Christmas spirit and it's another festive party. When he was 3 last year we had a decent turn out.

MarriedinMaui Sat 17-Sep-16 16:34:28

I think if it's a party at home with mulled wine and mince pies for the adults it could work that close to Christmas. Especially if the parents are your friends too.

SillyBilly18 Sat 17-Sep-16 16:40:01

Thank you for your responses.

Some of the parents will be nursery parents that I've not met before, so I may hand out invitations quite early & see how many RSVP's I get & then decide whether to go ahead.

I'm leaning towards the week before the 18th now, just to be on the safe side. I know of family & friends with children that will definitely come on either date, but it might be a bit risky with parents & children that I've not met yet.

vintagechick43 Sat 17-Sep-16 16:45:04

My DD's birthday is also 18th December, never had a problem with children not being able to come to party's. In fact I think parents made the most of it by dropping children off and being able to go and do some Xmas shopping without them in tow.

Greypuddle Sat 17-Sep-16 19:50:29

We should all get together on the 18th and have a joint one, then it wouldn't matter if no one else showed up. grin

SillyBilly18 Sun 18-Sep-16 11:30:58

I love that idea! grin

HighDataUsage Sun 25-Sep-16 06:30:39

My ds's birthday is around then and we hold his party on the first weekend in December. Thus works well for us as he gets a decent turn out as people aren't too busy with Christmas events.

blackteaplease Sun 25-Sep-16 06:46:01

Dd is Christmas day and I always hold hers the weekend of the 18th. We have never had a problem with this date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now