Cash bar at anniversary party?

(10 Posts)
Luna7993 Sun 07-Feb-16 21:14:16

Am hosting a party for the parents 40th anniversary coming up. About 80 in attendance, and its in the function room of a nice local restaurant. For the venue, food, and band, we've paid over £1000, and now we have the dilemma of will people be expecting a free drink(s)? We can't bring our own alcohol, and the restaurant quoted us an additional £350 just for a glass of prosecco on arrival. Unsure on etiquette here. Will guests arrive expecting a cash bar? i didn't put anything on the invite. If theres not at least wine on the table will some people think thats... rude?? Should we put some extra £££ behind bar?

AlpacaLypse Sun 07-Feb-16 21:16:36

If you're having a sit down meal served at the table, I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and have a couple of bottles on each table. If it's a buffet, a PAYG bar will be fine.

Luna7993 Sun 07-Feb-16 21:20:10

Its a buffet... I'm kinda hoping a cash bar will be fine...

donajimena Sun 07-Feb-16 21:21:55

A cash bar will be fine. I wouldn't expect free drinks at an anniversary party

JapanNextYear Sun 07-Feb-16 21:26:23

Cash bar fine. Obvs no one would turn down a glass of fizz on arrival if you could stretch to that...

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Sun 07-Feb-16 21:28:10

If you are planning on any sort of toast, I would expect you to provide that. Tbh, if I were hosting, I would expect to cover the cost of a drink with the meal as well as the toast. And if you are having a cash bar, you need to be clear about that on the invite - nothing more embarrassing than realising you've only got a small amount of cash on you and that you have to pay for a cash bar.

FelixFelix Sun 07-Feb-16 21:30:31

I've never been to a party where drinks have been provided (apart from more informal ones held in someone's house where people tend to bring a bottle anyway). I'd never in a million years expect free drinks, so don't worry about it. A glass on arrival would be lovely but I wouldn't bother if you can't stretch to it.

Luna7993 Sun 07-Feb-16 21:40:05

Thanks all!
Heres a questions: if agreed to extend our budget a bit for drinks which option do you think most people would prefer a) glass of bubbly on arrival, b) red or white wine on the table, or c) money behind the bar so guests can choose whatever they want to drink?

BikeRunSki Sun 07-Feb-16 21:43:22

A

But DH says C is fairer to people who want soft drinks.

Nospringflower Sun 07-Feb-16 21:45:56

I don't expect any drinks at that kind of thing but if you were going to I would do a glass of fizz on arrival.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now