What plates etc best for girls guests at superhero party?

(29 Posts)
Springtimemama Sun 10-May-15 13:12:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meglet Sun 10-May-15 13:13:40

same as the boys. The girls won't spontaneously combust if they eat off a blue plate wink .

DearGirl Sun 10-May-15 13:14:34

Why not go for superman and superwoman theme

ishallnamehimsquishy Sun 10-May-15 13:15:46

Same as the boys. No need to do special girl stuff.

Oakmaiden Sun 10-May-15 13:16:28

It is a Superhero party. Give them all Superhero plates. They are not going to refuse to eat cake and crisps just because the plate has Spiderman on (or whoever). And if they do, then all the more cake for those who aren't being so silly.

Philoslothy Sun 10-May-15 13:16:31

Girls can eat from the same plates as boys. They won't grow penises.

GobblersKnob Sun 10-May-15 13:16:55

One set of plates fits all children.

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sun 10-May-15 13:17:18

Honestly I think at a 4yo party the children will be more focussed on the balloons and party wheels and haribo to be too concerned with the decor grin

Also I really don't think teh girls will be upset or anything if they get a plate that isn't sparkly.

Which superheroes are you doing? The power rangers for eg have both male and female characters so plates with them on would work.

In all honesty we got stuff that we thought would be fairly unisex, or if we got 2 designs we let them choose, but then I'm a bit like that (don't like genderising stuff).

EduCated Sun 10-May-15 13:17:31

Honestly, just give them the same plates. It's a superhero party. So they have superhero plates. I imagine lots of the girls will like them anyway (and probably not all of the boys). And they're plates, they'll get covered in food.

Springtimemama Sun 10-May-15 13:18:54

post Sun 10-May-15 13:19:02

I'd honestly be a bit hmm if there were separate boys and girls plates. A variety to choose from, fine, if enough for all of them to choose one or the other, but not to allocate them on the basis of girl/ boy.

I do get that you're kindly guessing what you think they'd prefer, but it is an assumption that all the girls want 'girl' themed stuff, and that seems worse to me.

Springtimemama Sun 10-May-15 13:20:14

post Sun 10-May-15 13:20:40

And in fact dd has come home slightly outraged when there have been girl/ boy party bags etc (though she did say 'thank you' nicely!)

post Sun 10-May-15 13:21:02

X post too!

SavoyCabbage Sun 10-May-15 13:22:15

My dd would be most put out if she went to a superhero party and half the guests had superhero plates and she didn't because she is a girl.

Not only is it sexist, but you are setting yourself up for extra complications. How would you set it all up? What will you do if a boys its at a Cinderella place? It's a minefield.

Springtimemama Sun 10-May-15 13:22:34

Barefoot789 Sun 10-May-15 13:22:41

Just do the same for all x

Springtimemama Sun 10-May-15 13:23:59

AlmaMartyr Sun 10-May-15 13:24:05

I've always just done the same for everyone. No-one even seems to mind, not that I've noticed anyway! DD has come home from parties where there's been 'girl' and 'boy' stuff a bit miffed before.

EduCated Sun 10-May-15 13:26:13

It's a pretty sad state of affairs we've got to when we automatically assume boys and girls can even share paper plates sad

There will be boys who don't like the theme, and girls who do. When did we start treating them like they're entirely different species? confused

Springtimemama Sun 10-May-15 13:27:47

wonkylegs Sun 10-May-15 13:30:59

It's never even crossed my mind and I'm arranging DSs 7th birthday party now. All have had lots of girls. They just have whatever fits with the party theme. Last year we did Lego Star Wars - girls had just as much fun with lightsabers, storm troopers and yoda as the boys did. Same plates, party bags and games.

EduCated Sun 10-May-15 13:33:14

grin If anyone questions it, you have full permission to slap them with a superhero themed paper plate of your choice!

It's scary how utterly entrenched this shit had become. Even as someone fully signed up to the who let toys be toys type philosophy, I still have a wobble when buying presents for friends and families kids.

attheendoftheday Thu 14-May-15 21:04:07

Good for you, op! You're doing they right thing.

Wigeon Thu 14-May-15 21:10:33

I would be pretty pissed off if DD went to a party and had different plates to the boys. I would be totally happy (and so would she) if she had a plate with rockets, dinosaurs, trains, or other things which for ridiculous reasons are classified as boy things.

Please please do one kind of plate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now