Baby Girl's 1st Birthday Ideas - Summer 2015

(7 Posts)
moodyoyo Wed 22-Apr-15 21:08:06

Hi all,

My DD is turning 1 on July 1st (eek!) and we have decided to celebrate her birthday on the 27th June (as it's on a Saturday) and her birthday falls on a Wednesday this year. The only question is...what do we do for it?!

My OH and I live in a small flat with no garden and the only things I can think of are picnic in the park or a bbq at my parents but both seem kind of boring for the adults involved confused

Please let me know your suggestions as we're approaching the time to send out invites and we're really stumped for celebration ideas.

Much obliged,

Laurel x

Moondancer146 Mon 04-May-15 11:56:31

Really depends on whether you've got many children coming and the ages. If it's mostly adults then I'd say a BBQ is perfect and any children can run around the garden and play - maybe get a few small outdoor games for them. My DD is 1 in 3 weeks and I've got a lot of friends with little ones of similar ages so I've ended up with almost 60 guests shock - about 20 children so I've hired a hall and some soft play equipment. It's worked out way more expensive than a trip to a soft play centre but at least they get the equipment to themselves for as long as they want and won't be over run by older children so you need to factor in costs when deciding too.

welcometouniversallychallenged Sat 16-May-15 19:59:15

We did a mad hatter's tea party for our 1st birthday party - it meant we could have a lovely (alcohol included) afternoon tea for the adults, and for the kids, it centred around story time (there is a baby version of Alice in wonderland), and then we put the film on in the background (cartoon version). I had a friend bring her rabbit for the older children to pet (supervised), and we played some 'eat me' 'drink me' guess the flavour games. Mostly DS just just enjoyed ripping paper up from his presents and watching the cartoon, but it meant we were able to have a multi age party with something for everyone.

Bunbaker Sat 16-May-15 20:01:39

I think when it is a first birthday the celebration is more for the adults than the child. We just had aunt, uncle, grandmother and godparents round for tea. I just did an afternoon tea and made a nice cake. We didn't know any other children at that point.

Partyrama Mon 01-Jun-15 14:58:23

welcometouniversallychallenged - Love the sound of your tea party! That's bang on the money - 1st birthdays are a more a chance for the adults to relax and look back on all the fun and adventures they've had the past year. Little one might not even know any different or you never know - may even sleep through the whole thing! It has been known to happen...Picnic in the park sounds great OP! You could decorate your space and take lots of blankets and pillows for a very relaxed affair. Just make it your own - whatever you and your friends and family enjoy doing.

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 08-Jun-15 21:39:14

Picnic sounds lovely, as its only 1st birthday try and keep it low key if you can. Fingers crossed for good weather!

Eminado Mon 15-Jun-15 22:27:43

Friends of ours had a picnic in the park and made a tablecloth out of a collage of photos of babies first year and had a moveable gazebo decorated with balloons as the food area and shelter in case of rain. Was simple but lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now