Should I give sweets to the children in school for my child’s birthday?

(7 Posts)
Fiona2011231 Mon 28-Apr-14 12:34:46

I have a child who is still at Reception class, so I have little experience regarding the school etiquette. May I ask this question?

I don’t plan to organize a birthday party for my son yet this year. Instead, we plan to have a small gathering in our family.

In this case, should I still bring the sweets/cakes to the school and ask the teacher to give to the children on the day? Does anyone do that?

Thank you

Flexiblefriend Mon 28-Apr-14 16:48:32

At my DD's school some people do bring in things like that for birthdays and some don't. I think its a nice idea. It gives him a chance to share his birthday with his school friends, as well as the party with family. If you are not sure of the etiquette at your school, maybe have a chat with the teacher to check. I'm sure they won't mind.

antimatter Mon 28-Apr-14 16:54:18

In my kids primary schools kids used to bring a cake or sweets, but classes were small.

MirandaWest Mon 28-Apr-14 16:56:31

At my DCs school the majority of children bring in sweets or chocolate when it's their child's birthday.

BikeRunSki Mon 28-Apr-14 16:56:59

In DS's school they bring in sweets for their class on their birthday; something easy for the teacher to divvy up like mini bags of Haribo. This is regardless of parties.

sittingatmydeskagain Mon 28-Apr-14 16:59:37

We take a bag of sweets in, regardless of parties. You can buy handy "30 pack" bags.

3bunnies Tue 29-Apr-14 17:25:39

Ours do though send in a mixture as some can't have chocolate due to nuts/milk, others can't have some sweets with gelatine due to religious requirements. I send a mixture and let teachers/ children when older select as appropriate. I always send a few extra in case one child takes 2 or if some left I say to give a few to their teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now