Joint party - 1 or 2 presents?

(6 Posts)
Tailtwister Wed 30-Oct-13 10:02:33

Two gifts it is then. Thanks for the advice, children's parties are a minefield!

lade Tue 29-Oct-13 23:38:43

My daughters have joint parties, but I certainly wouldn't expect their friends to buy them both a present.

Where possible, I try to just put the relevant child's name on the invite. So DD1 invites her friends, and Dd2 invites hers.

I would hate it, if people thought they had to buy for both (which is why I never put it as a joint party on the invite).

However, if the mum has put both names on the invite, then I suspect she is expecting a present for both. In that situation, I would split the budget and spend 75% on the main friend and get a little something with the other 25% for the sibling.

WaitMonkey Tue 29-Oct-13 21:28:22

I've been in this situation. Always buy two gifts.

All of them angry

This is where The Works 3 for £10 compendium-type books reduce my rage.

Exception: where you have explicitly been invited by one child, rather than both, eg "Jack would like to invite Sophie to his and Harry's party". Then just one.

Latetothematch Tue 29-Oct-13 17:55:05

I would either get 2 presents for half the amount I would normally spent, or spend normal amount and get a joint present as siblings.

If they were friends I would get 2 presents for half the amount.

Tailtwister Tue 29-Oct-13 14:45:11

DS1 is attending a joint birthday party for 2 siblings. The younger one is in his class and the older one he knows by sight, but not a friend IYSWIM.

Do I buy 2 presents or just 1 for the child in his class? I don't mind particularly either way, but I don't want to appear mean if I don't or embarrass the parents if I do.

What do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now