Winter baby 1st birthday

(7 Posts)
Cldillon Fri 27-Sep-13 20:41:03

I know I'm a little early to be stressing about this now, but DS's birthday is in January, when he was born last year the weather was awful with sooo much snow! I had in my head for his 1st birthday we would have a nice family gathering and in my head this was always in summer and always in the garden :/ obviously not going to happen!
So what do other mums do for winter babies birthdays! Our house isn't really big enough for lots of family and we live 1 and 1/2 hours from both families (in opposite directions) so I really doubt anyone other than grandparents will be willing to travel, if the weather is as bad as last year.

Also! What do you buy for 1st birthday presents? His birthday is so close to Christmas and I can;t help but think he won't be bothered! Am I awful??? We live on a budget but I always find some money to buy toys and things as we go along, and I really can;t see the point of piling a load more toys and spending loads of money in one big go?
Is there anything I could get him that would be special?

ErrolTheDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 20:45:52

At the age of one? Honestly, if you have a party its for the grown ups and he'd probably like a huge cardboard box as well as anything else. grin

If you don't already have them a popup play tent or some sort of ride-on might fit the bill.

We don't have relatives nearby so we didn't have a first party (and for her second we took her out to the Blue Planet aquarium and a pizza in chester - a special treat just for her.)

Snowgirl1 Mon 30-Sep-13 11:59:10

Our DD's birthday is just after Christmas - she was 1 last year. We were actually on holiday so DD, DH and I just had a birthday cake tea together. She didn't get a present on the day (although we did give her a ride-on after we got back from holiday), didn't have a clue what was going on.

When she's older, we'll have her parties in summer.

Unless your extended family are going to be offended, I'd just invite GPs to a birthday tea. That's what we're doing for DD's 2nd birthday.

We just went to an aquarium - fab age to take them. Parties are quite stressful for 1yr olds - lots of people, mummy & daddy v busy and strangers wanting to hold them that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

georgettemagritte Mon 07-Oct-13 11:37:38

Watching with interest as same situation here with DD born last Jan in the snow! My own birthday is in late spring so I have lovely memories of sunny parties in the garden - a bit gutted for DD that she won't have that and wondering whether to shift her parties to the summer when she's at school. Has anyone else done that and if so encountered any issues with it?

Grumblelion Mon 07-Oct-13 11:47:18

My DD is also 1 in January so lurking with interest. For her 1st it'll probably just be inviting family & close friends over for booze & cake.

My birthday is December & I always had parties just before the Christmas holidays when I got to school, probably quite old fashioned now but pass the parcel, musical bumps etc before a buffet tea. We did craft things as well. We didn't shift my parties as my sister's birthdays are June & July and I never had any issues with an indoor party - was probably a bit of a challenge for my mum though!

IsleOfRight Tue 08-Oct-13 16:33:51

My dd is just before Xmas. We did a small bday at home (we have small house too) - it was pretty crowded as grandparents and five other babies and their friends. For ds, also dec, we're hiring a church hall near us for his first bday.

You could always do two parties. A morning party for babies with their parents and an afternoon tea for grandparents after nap time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now