Shirley's Party Advice Part 7 - how did they all get so big...

(882 Posts)
stealthsquiggle Thu 26-Sep-13 14:45:27

Part 7 - link to previous one to follow!

Oh no! Are you like me? I think I need to get a photo and mentally plan to get my dslr out, and forget I have a camera phone! Every time. And then videoing I do on my phone forgetting that the dslr captures video better lol.

I just clicked on the start of this thread, back in 2013 I ask you what elastic bands are and you tell me about loom band bracelets. Imagine that, the mother of a primary aged child and at that time I had no concept of loom banding ha ha.

Today I've fetched mil's table and chairs to put alongside my own in the conservatory so I now have a nice big long table ready for the party, coloured bunting pinned up the White room. I need to start the cake on Thursday but Thursday's are my nightmare day with toddler group, school run and rainbows. Then I'm helping with the school xmas fayre fri and sat so im short on time! I've made a cake board like a painted plate, with a peg dolly and used that glaze spray you recommended, it really yellowed the icing so I'm not thrilled with it but I've got too much on to start again.

Where is blathers by the way? Tell her to come back.

stealthsquiggle Tue 18-Nov-14 21:37:56

Facetime/Skype not an option for nativity as there is no signal at school. She is actually ok about that, as long as someone is there (Daddy/Granny/Grandad), which they will be. I am currently gutted that due to sheer exhaustion I let her costume go into school without taking any photos (dress, from scratch, with no pattern. I was rather proud of it grin)

stealthsquiggle Tue 18-Nov-14 21:34:39

They made kaleidoscopes (kits from oriental trading, I probably have enough left for a small party if you want them?), played with frozen lumps of bicarb and vinegar with plastic frogs frozen into them, and then hopping the frogs (and lots of extra frogs - I had 144) into a bowl. W had some tornado tubes, which they absolutely loved. They played with dry ice (blowing bubbles, blowing up balloons, making big "crystal ball" bubble) with DB2, made brilliant constructions from coffee stirrers, marshmallows and cheese puffs, and did a big combined lolly stick chain reaction with DS and a guest's older sibling supervising. We also played mento geysers outside,no tried to demonstrate supersaturated liquids but it didn't work .

..that was it!

DD is all that and more - sneakiness is my main gripe with her, but she still lacks self confidence and will react to situations she is nervous about by going on sit down strike and saying "no" (example this afternoon was being told to go into a classroom occupied by DS and his classmates to collect her stuff after a match. DH told her to, she said no and ran off into the dark angry). It's all growing up stuff, but she knows exactly how to wind me up because she is just like me at that age . At home it's mostly not doing stuff that she knows perfectly well she is supposed to do, and bursting into tears about bloody everything [sigh].

Tell me about the science party what experiments did you do? I really want to do one for 7th birthday.

Oooh you have my sympathies on the stroppy tantrums, i bet missing the nativity hasnt helped either has it and im certain thats prob crushed you anyway sad (could you skype/facetime it?)

If it helps my best mate has an almost 8 yr old and dh's niece is 7.5 and both can only be described as stroppy little brats at the moment. Awful awful backchat, slamming, trying to march out of the house, pure defiance. Im not saying that dd is like that but your not alone if shes "acting up". Im dreading it cos dd1 is already prone to rages i could do without it at 8!

Ohhhh isomalt, ive had my eyes on trying that to make coral by pouring it through icecubes.

stealthsquiggle Tue 18-Nov-14 12:11:13

School Christmas cakes are yet another thing in my stress list, as the last but one week of term I am away all week (missing DD's starring role in the nativity and DS's parents evening in the process) so they have to be done before that. No design ideas other than that I want to do isomalt "glass" decorations of some sort.

stealthsquiggle Tue 18-Nov-14 12:09:05

Stress is just general work, life, house, etc - nothing dramatic, just too much of everything (and an 8yo going through "a phase" which is really getting me down - defiance and sneakiness and tantrums and "you don't love me")

DD had the full on party, on her birthday itself, so no separate family celebration - science party went really well, although I am still trying to get hold of decent photos (there is some video of the lolly stick chain reaction - which we discovered just in time doesn't work on hard floors hmm)

DS's was very low key - school day, so we had family dinner with loads of sushi, and are going out for tapas this weekend as a joint thing with DB2's birthday (which means cake #3 - he has had a home one and a school one already) and he is going to the new hunger games film on it's first day on Thursday (looks like I am too, which was not the plan, as DH is much keener. That has reminded me I need to get someone to pick DD up that afternoon...)

I will consider Gruffalo cakes later. It's for the weekend after next, but we have a lot on that weekend (cooking for the village hmm smile) so it has to be mostly done before that, and I am away half of next week too [pulls hair out]

Fill me in about the stress cos I've not been tweeting to keep abreast? And tell me about the kids birthdays what did they do? I've seen the science cake and j's cake with the cocktail sticks in which looked fab.

And what's the plan for the xmas cakes for school this year?

Okay if you need an even easier gruffalo cake its here but it lacks finesse

stealthsquiggle Mon 17-Nov-14 19:05:15

School care? Cake, not care. Much more important.

stealthsquiggle Mon 17-Nov-14 19:04:44

How could you forget the poisonous wart? I have plans for the rest of a pack of jelly tots.

Forgetting to take photos of cake was probably a symptom of how stressed I was (and am sad). I did almost the same with DS's school care - I left cocktail sticks in for transport and forgot to take any photos after I took them out (and then the gits forgot about it and I had DS on the phone in floods of tears angry - they did apologise profusely to us both and make a big fuss over it the next day)

I can think of lots of elaborate gruffalo cake designs, just kit one that I can make in the 5 spare minutes I am likely to have.

Except the pillock that made it forgot the poisonous wart at the end of his nose. The amateur.

This is the easiest cake i think:
here

Is this the right thread? Stealth comes on and says a, i didnt take photos of a cake and b, i need ideas for a gruffalo cake?!

Okay who are you and what have you done with the real stealth?

stealthsquiggle Mon 17-Nov-14 14:26:52

Hello. Checking in.

I made a frozen cake the other week grin - for DGoddaughter and the 4 friends she shared a party with as I couldn't stand by and let her end up with a boring bought one.... I don't think I have any photos though sad

Now I need your brilliant ideas for a (simple, please, I have a million other things to do) Gruffalo cake for her little sister.

DD has absorbed my suggestion of a smaller party next year with a Mad Hatter tea party - I said firmly that I couldn't possibly do it for more than 12 there are a couple of boys in her year that I really can't face again

Frozen party looks like it is shaping up, Blathers. The challenge is, as we suspected, stopping Olaf taking over...

Sorry sorry sorry. I said come back and got distracted again! Please stick around, I miss this thread for creative splurges.

Blathers I'm loving your frozen ideas, I wanted to do a frozen disco for Xmas to make a joint party for both dd's and sort xmas out but Dh said no. Bastard. smile

In between your layers blathers, dd just went to a party and came back with a frozen mini chocolate bar. Host says she's sure they came from sainsburys. Your snow globes sound perfect but I think your right Olaf is the easiest to put in, unless you take a photo of each guest as elsa to slide in place?

If you can't theme your food no-one can. I suggest era icecream lol! Or baked Alaska!
What's the cake going to be like??

Can you help with some reassurance for mine? I've got 8 kids and my 2 for pottery painting in my conservatory. I've done it all white tablecloths etc but ordered a coloured apron each(was going to get mil to embroider but she's moved house and snowed under). Then I thought I can do nuggets and chips rather than buttering bread etc and use the rainbow ikea cups/plates from the rainbow party to coincide with their apron. Also ordered corresponding colour helium balloons.

Party bag I managed to order baker Ross ceramic flowers (some are star shaped) and get some mini acrylic paints from the craft shop so the whole thing with the trusty takeaway bags have come to 88p each!

They're painting a plate or mug each, food and then and decoupage a cardboard initial to take home. Now, dd wants a quiet party at home. I really don't want to do games and herd kids around with breakable ceramics etc( not to mention at least five mothers want to stay too!) can I get away without games because they're busy crafting?

And then my mind is already working on dd2's party in February. She mentioned wanting a gruffalo party so I thought about doing Gruffalos child party instead. But then I'm thinking I may enjoy a "Julia Donaldson" one more as more variety but would it be too overwhelming? What could I do if it was Julia Donaldson with a room of three year olds, ideas!

Blatherskite Sun 02-Nov-14 19:03:56

Of course!! "We finish each others...sandwiches"!! Once again, it's all about the labelling wink

Blatherskite Sun 02-Nov-14 19:01:23

Ha! I said pizza wouldn't go and then googled Frozen party food and the first picture to come up....

Blatherskite Sun 02-Nov-14 16:53:03

Plan so far is...

Party at home with a few of her friends and her closest in age cousins much like last year.

Invites -
Little cellophane bags filled with marshmallows, pretzel sticks, chocolate drops, an orange tic tac and some edible eyes sealed with a card topper that says "Do you wanna build a Snowman?" on the front and has party details on the back.

Music -
Easy. Frozen soundtrack of course!

Games -
DD has requested pass the parcel with a little frozen doll in the middle. Done. Will have to buy 2 of the dolls as there will be some more of meltdown should someone else win the only one and take it away. Will wrap in white/blue paper. Need to think of something to put between the layers too.

DD has also requested musical statues. This actually fits perfectly as I've seen a suggestion where the children are frozen by Elsa whenever the music stops. Trying to work out how to see this without having to dress up like Elsa myself.

Pin the nose on Olaf. DH thinks this should be pin the tail on Sven but Olaf will be much easier to draw.

Activities -
I've bought some Holy Week snow globes from Baker Ross half price. The only thing Holy about them is the pictures on the card inserts which is the easiest thing in the world to replace. Question is - with what? The gap in the middle is fairly wide so I'm wondering about maybe cutting inserts out of OHP type see through sheets and then using felt shapes to make an Olaf to stand in the snow storm. I don't want to do too many Olaf themed things but the snow globes are only 65mm tall and I can't see felt princesses working very well. We could maybe colour some in though?

I've bought some white, card tiara blanks too and a selection of snowflake stickers to decorate them with. I'll put out pens as well. Crown decorating went down really well at her 3rd birthday party.

Do I need something else?

Food -
Cake obviously. Blue jelly possibly although I know at least 1 guest won't eat it. Not sure what else. I need help with this as I think for once my fall back of pizza doesn't really go.

Party bags -
More Olaf but I like the idea of white paper bags with an Olaf face on. Could maybe do something with a glittery snowflake shape or two instead though. No idea what to put in them! DSis 1 is going to make some Frozen hair clips and DSis2 might make some badges, plus we'll be able to stick in the snowglobes and tiaras. Do I need anything more than just some sweets do you think?

Decorations -
The one good thing of being close to Christmas is that there is loads of snowy decorations about at the moment. I'm sure I'll be able to find loads.

What do you think?

stealthsquiggle Wed 29-Oct-14 16:00:33

Ah ha! I thought it was DW that had restarted this, as we were talking about on text the other night. For some bizarre reason when I try and click on it in the iPad app it crashes the app confused

How is the party plan coming? That Pinterest board of mine was getting a bit Olaf- dominated for my liking (I like Sven best, myself!)

Blatherskite Tue 28-Oct-14 21:31:37

Found you again! Anyone still around?

Badvoc123 Fri 08-Aug-14 07:54:42

Am going to do dragon says, def.
Can anyone think of a dragon themed game that involves balloons?
<I have lots of balloons!>

Madrigals Thu 07-Aug-14 18:25:34

Stealth, I was very impressed by the cake smile

Dragon games sound great too!

stealthsquiggle Thu 07-Aug-14 17:55:34

Badvoc - credit for the design (especially the nest) would have to go to my DS, although we did have to eat the nest first as he loved the baby dragon too much to cut him up.

Could you interrogate DS a little about what they do in PE at school? We did dragon hoopla and dragon egg and spoon as relay races at DD's dragon party, which was her 6th, but she is one of the oldest in the year, so most of them were 5. It worked really well because they were so well drilled in relay racing at school - as soon as I told them it was a relay race they knew exactly what to do. We made dragon egg and spoon a little more chaotic fun by having 2 dragon tails and sets of wings, so each child had to put on the wings and tail for their turn IYSWIM.

Dragon Says works well too...

Badvoc123 Thu 07-Aug-14 17:41:09

Stealth...that cake - as my ds1 would say - is EPIC smile
The kids will be 5 so I think dragon says would be a good game.
Don't want anything too....erm...potentially violent...very boy heavy class! smile

stealthsquiggle Thu 07-Aug-14 17:08:12

here you go - Dragon on a nest. He's not a HTTYD specific dragon, but he could be made to be...

stealthsquiggle Thu 07-Aug-14 16:59:53

Dragon cakes - I will have to come back and post links from my PC later, but my favourite of several I have done was a baby dragon on a nest - the nest was made of of Mars bar krispie cake with lost of sparkly things mixed into it.

Dragon games - we did dragon egg and spoon, and dragon hoopla (I found wooden hoops on eBay and bought a couple of inflatable dragons). We did "dragon says" with some help from DS and his very bossy hand puppet dragon. We did dragon's footsteps with my DB's huge soppy cuddly dragon. We did "splat the knight" (splat the rat - beanbag, drain pipe, soft baseball bag thing) we did pass the dragon egg. Also pin the fire on the dragon.

If it's specifically HTTYD, rather than dragons in general, then there are lots of Viking training things you could bend into games, but most of my ideas are likely to come from the books rather than the films (bashball, anyone ?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now