Shirley's Party Advice Part 7 - how did they all get so big...

(775 Posts)

Part 7 - link to previous one to follow!

Blathers - perfect.

DW - google 'rubber band bracelets' it's the latest thing dontcha know you behind the times person you

Badvoc - panic not. Paracetamol and party adrenaline will carry him through.

Ghent, in case anyone was wondering, is a very pretty city, and I was very sensible and didn't go on to the bar that everyone was telling me I had to see (feeling boring now, but know that I will get to be smug in the morning).

jetstar Thu 26-Sep-13 22:20:14

I'm not really seeing the point of those rubber band wristbands - I must be getting old!

The fact that there is no point will not stop medium sized girls from needing them, jetstar (not that I give in to these things, generally).

I suppose at least I would always be able to find a rubber band when I needed one grin

Badvoc Fri 27-Sep-13 11:52:12

Gah.
It's tonsilitis so 10 days of ABs.
Sigh.

Badvoc Fri 27-Sep-13 12:14:04

What the hell do I do about the party? sad
Dh says he will have had 3 days of ABs and be ok. (He seems fine in himself just got a manky throat)
Have spoken to the teacher about the school trip on Monday and she wants to take him if he is ok to go.
Argh.
Wwyd?

Blatherskite Fri 27-Sep-13 12:28:27

I'd got for it. After 3 days of AB's he should have turned the corner and may well be feeling fine - especially if he's fine in himself now. If he's feeling grotty on the day, a spoon full of Calpol half an hour before the party should see him through and it might even take his mind off it.

If he were really suffering and poorly now I might say postpone it but if he's fine...

I'd go for it too. AB's will kick in after 48 hours, and if he's OK in himself now then he will be fine on Sunday, and it's not like he's infectious or anything. Just time drugs so that he has paracetamol (or whatever), as Blathers says, 30 mins before party (whether he seems like he needs it at that point or not) to see him through.

Badvoc Fri 27-Sep-13 13:46:52

Thanks guys x

Yep me too. I'd be going ahead with it unless it was the plague lol.

Dd2 has decided that 2pm is the time we must get in the car and fetch dd1. Every single day she has a full on tantrum that we need "shoes" "car" "dd1"

Shes got full on dribbly snot mass hysteria sobbing and the last few days ive driven there early just to stop her but its prob setting her body clock that yes your right its time for school run! I dont get dd1 til 3.10pm!!!

Badvoc Fri 27-Sep-13 14:17:27

He hasn't stopped eating today yet so I hope that's a good sign!
It's my nephews b day party tomorrow so dh can take the dc to that and I can get on with all the stuff I should have done today sad
I have also arranged an ocado del for the morning as we just wont have time to do a shop.
We were going to church on Sunday morning but will stay at home and prepare for the party instead!

It sounds like you'll be well sorted by partytime

Blatherskite Fri 27-Sep-13 16:44:24

I had an idea for DD's party today....making their own pirate treasure!

Maybe?

I picked up a couple of bags of cheap beads today so was thinking I could buy some elasticated thread and let them make themselves a necklace each ready to be added to their 'swag' at home time....?

Badvoc Fri 27-Sep-13 16:56:43

That sounds like a lovely idea blathers.
You can get choc coin makers but I have heard they are a bit of a fAff...

Blatherskite Fri 27-Sep-13 17:20:32

The choc coin makers get slated every year on the annual 'shit toys to avoid' threads.

Despite me buying things already, DD's party isn't until December blush so I should be able to buy chocolate coins pretty much wherever I want by then.

Honestly, once we get into October, Halloween will take over, followed by Christmas and I'll be pretty much left with online only for party supplies so my crazy advance planning has a purpose. I've gotten bits from poundland and those compasses were 4 packs for £5 in ASDA - none of which will be available once we get to November. Apparently, September is a big birthday month so now is the time to grab the bargains. Plus, I have Christmas to organise too and I only have enough head space for one at a time!

<excuses excuses>

Badvoc Fri 27-Sep-13 17:29:59

smile
I am hoping to avoid Xmas shopping this year.
Have a started already and bought online. Ds2 is done and ds1 just needs another something. Stockings also nearly done.
We do secret Santa in my family for the adults so 2 gifts there and then the dc x4.
Not feeling terribly festive this year...it will be the first without my beloved dad.
I will make mince pies etc, and put the decs up etc but my heart really isn't in it.
Dad would be furious with me....he loved Xmas! smile

Blathers - rainbow cake - recipe - link or book, please?

Badvoc Sat 28-Sep-13 13:48:11

You're not going to believe this...the church hall has been double booked!
You couldn't make it up....
Waiting for a phone call.

Aaaargh.

Fingers crossed the other people back down..

Blatherskite Sat 28-Sep-13 17:18:27

Hummingbird bakery Vanilla cake mix + gel colours stealth. I used the vanilla frosting recipe for filling and covering. 1 double recipe = 3 layers so you'll need to make the cupcake mix x4.

Blatherskite Sat 28-Sep-13 17:18:59

Also crossing everything that the party can be sorted Badvoc

Badvoc Sat 28-Sep-13 17:28:03

Oh it wasn't a party it was the vicar!
Sorted anyway, thank goodness!

Ah - the cupcake mix. I have never tried that as a cake. Thanks.

Blatherskite Sat 28-Sep-13 18:16:50

I have 2 of the Hummingbird books stealth, both with the Vanilla cupcake recipe in. One has instructions on how to double it to make a 3 tier cake which is what gave me the idea to use it. It worked well too.

Glad your party is sorted Badvoc

I got "Halloween" skull and crossbones felt bunting from Hobbycraft today and a really nice sized cardboard treasure chest for £3.50! I know I've got a few now but I figured I could fill one full of chocolate coins to use for party game treats and maybe plonk on the table at food time too. I also got the yellow fabric and brown ribbon to make DD a Pixie dust bag just like Izzy's. The tin treasure chest is DS's and the big cardboard one I've half made is too big really so I can paint this one for DD to keep afterwards.

jetstar Sat 28-Sep-13 19:55:32

Cake panic! The treasure island cake is part buttercream (sea) and part sugar paste (island)
a) do I need to refrigerate it overnight?
b) will the buttercream make the sugar paste disintegrate?
Probably should have thought of this earlier - it's made already - am I doomed?

Jet star don't put sugar paste in the fridge it goes wet and sticky. If you buttercream it and add the paste you can leave it to the air quite safely, if you want to chill it buttercream end, add the sugar paste after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now