Shirley's Party Advice Part 7 - how did they all get so big...

(831 Posts)

Part 7 - link to previous one to follow!

3bunnies Mon 21-Oct-13 22:56:55

smile already planning to cast dd1's godfather as the villain as many of them won't know him. Having real dilemma of identity though as above. Dd1 loves scooby but also the wider world of mystery - helen moss, harry potter, roman mysteries. Just wondering whether her friends at 8/9 have moved beyond scooby doo.

SchrodingersHat Mon 21-Oct-13 23:02:14

Scooby doo party sounds great. I'm tempted to make Scooby snacks just for fun smile

Ok, you've convinced me, breathing fire can be a craft activity! I haven't heard of grandfather's footsteps. Is it like What's the time Mr Wolf?

I had thought of a treasure hunt for capturing princesses with the princesses (peg dolls?) as the prize. It went down well last time. But harder to do if we're in a church hall, I'll have to sort out decorations that can be the clues (last time the party was at home and we did a treasure hunt in our close).

Teams were working in parallel - so they rotated round the activities. The main challenge with that is that each activity has to be somehow made to take the same time. Jigsaws were real ones - cardboard ones you buy as blanks. I can't remember where I got them but I think Muji sell them.

I am now struggling to remember what the activities actually were blush, but IIRC we had 4 of them, taking 20 mins each, then tea, then they assembled their codes and cracked the safe. I will try and browse some photos during my meeting tomorrow to see what else I can remember wink.

Plane took me to Stockholm. Meeting tomorrow then straight home. Somewhere along the way I realised that I had forgotten to pack socks, so I just washed the ones I was wearing which are DS's anyway and stuck them on the radiator. Never let anyone tell you that business travel isn't glamorous hmm

Schrodinger - yes, essentially the same as what's the time Mr Wolf. I love your name, BTW. DH and I were debating whether modern children would just conclude that the cat was a zombie grin.

I can't find any photos sad. I am sure they exist in some digital archive somewhere but not one which has made it on to my latest PC.

SchrodingersHat Tue 22-Oct-13 21:10:05

Thanks stealth hmmm zombie cats - interesting smile

a bargain for those planning halloween stuff (I have used the site for other LED lights)

Guitargirl Sat 26-Oct-13 22:29:18

Did the Halloween party today. I am exhausted.

More details when you have recovered?

Guitargirl Tue 29-Oct-13 09:27:41

It's been 3 days now and I think I am more or less recovered! Ach, it wasn't that bad, just felt pretty full on - lots of very over-excited kids but then I guess that's to be expected at Halloween.

Everyone looked great in their costumes. I spent most of Friday putting all the decorations up. In the end decided not to go with games which involve dunking face in water/jelly as I thought some of the children might come with faces painted which they did.

For food, Pinterest was my friend so I did ghost bananas, tangerine pumpkins, pumpkin-shaped pizza, hotdogs. And then bought ghost crisps, monster much spider web crisps and did ghost and pumpkin marshmallow kebabs. Bought Halloween cakes from Waitrose. The thing which disappeared first from the food table were M&Ms in pumpkin shaped dishes from M&M World. I put 2 dishes out, went to the kitchen for a minute, came back and they had gone already!

Kids played spot the witch in the garden and danced around to Halloween CD (bought from Amazon). Lucky dip of lollies from carved out pumpkin. Kids could choose glitter body stickers (bought from Accessorize).

They made some Halloween decorations - ceramic pumpkins and card things - bought from Yellow Moon.

Some of the parents stayed after pick-up time for wine which was lovely.

So, all in all, it was good I think - just exhausting. Wasn't helped by late night dash to the shops on Friday night for party bag things. Doesn't seem to matter how organised you think you are, it all gets frantic towards start time.

But the thing which could have potentially put a spanner in the works was DS coming out in chickenpox the morning of the party! I phoned everyone we had invited in the morning to explain and they were all happy to come anyway, most people had had it already and those who hadn't said they wanted their DCs to get it whilst still little. So, we ended up with an unplanned chickenpox party, just hoping now that it doesn't cause problems for anyone!

Hello all. Its 23 days til the pizza party and i cannot get motivated to sort the last few bits out. Ideally i want to make the cake and freeze it. I also need to make a smaller cake for family tea on dd1's actual birthday. I need to make a practice choc pizza to establish how long they're likely to take me with just one mould.

Ive been trying to get sorted for xmas too and so i've hit the wall really. Come and give me a kick! My list:
*Check with pizza express if the kids get hats cos i'll print a sticker off to personalise if they do
*Ive got a playdough pizza set so either i buy two more and use them for the three games they play there ir use one for a pizza colouring contest or something but not sure they'll have time for that?
* make a choc pizza then go on to make 10 choc pizzas!
* label the takeaway bags(thanks stealth)
* make the cake base and freeze
*in fact make a practice cake to grill and test!
* buy dd's birthday present and a dress to wear to the party!

Please come and motivate me!

Halloween party sounds amazing, Guitargirl. I might even consider it one year..

DW - stick with one playdoh pizza set and award it randomly for pizza colouring or just keep it for DD1 if the occasion doesn't arise. I am sure you could start making chocolate pizzas now but not sure it is worth making the cake in advance - the cake bit is pretty easy.

We collected all the "creations" from the potter when DS went down with 2 of his mates for a lovely messy day's workshop as his birthday treat. I made them huge aprons and they still managed to come home with shoes, hair, sleeves coated in clay grin - I haven't seen what they made as DH picked them up and their pots are waiting to be fired.

I have managed to pair lumps of clay from DD's party with their creators based on party photos, all bar 3 where I am just going to have to show them the photos of the creations and get them to tell me which is theirs. DD is working on Thank you letters now with the intent to deliver everything on Monday.

I am thinking of completing the transfer of large amounts of money to the potter by buying DM a weekend workshop for her birthday. Shows a lack of imagination, but I think she would enjoy it.

I have an unexpected trip to the US in a couple of weeks. It's a PITA, really, but I could use the opportunity to shop if I knew what I needed.

Blatherskite Wed 06-Nov-13 10:30:28

OK, crazy half term is over and I am back - with a sore throat but back none the less.

Need to get on it for DD's party now. I thought I was organised but there seems to be so much to do!

There always is, somehow, Blathers. I thought we could manage a fairly low key, school night "birthday day" for DS yesterday (birthday treat done in half term) but, combined with work being more than usually nuts (6:45 am conference calls, anyone hmm?) it nearly killed me producing a cake, Dim Sum for supper and a suitable pile of presents. Still, he had a good day and was very sweetly overwhelmed with the number of envelopes with cash/vouchers he got (from relations) as well as presents.

Next stop, DGoddaughter+little sister's combined birthdays, DB2&DS's combined "family" celebration. I am so tired. I want a day, any day, when I don't have to set an alarm, and I can't honestly see one between now and Christmas sad

Anyway - enough of me moaning. What is still on your list for DD?

Blatherskite Wed 06-Nov-13 11:33:59

Oh loads! I still have to make invitations for a start off!

I really need to get this house sorted before I can start anything though and I've done nothing today because I feel like death warmed up sad

While you are sipping hot ribena and getting better....

Your DD needs one of these for Christmas (or birthday, come to that). I just got 2 for DS and DD and they are snuggly and gorgeous and made to be best friends with a dragon-pirate-girl like your DD - FC is going to end up getting credit for our two because DH can't mutter "too many soft toys" at him grin.

I managed to incorporate a small dragon into DS's scuba diving themed birthday cake [obsessed]

Blatherskite Wed 06-Nov-13 15:06:51

DH would grump almost uncontrollably if I bought DD another soft toy!

Maybe I could get an Auntie or Uncle to get one wink

Definitely. Not even the Grinch could turn away a dragon who comes from a lovely Auntie or Uncle. And he's a very reasonably priced dragon as well as being very cute indeed (they are bigger than I expected).

Blatherskite Wed 13-Nov-13 10:00:04

Blimey, we've gone over a week without anyone posting!

I know sad

Go on, then, if you are bored, write my US shopping list for me... grin

Blatherskite Wed 13-Nov-13 14:42:37

Well, split cakes for blathers should obviously go on there wink

Blatherskite Wed 13-Nov-13 15:03:20

Someone help me word this pirate invitation. I want to say - come to DD's party, time place and please come dressed as a pirate - but all in pirate speak!

I'm tying myself in knots and it all sounds wrong

Does google translate not do pirate?

I was just about to ask what split cakes were and I remembered. Where would one get those?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now